A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't shut off

2000 A6 2.8L Quattro Auto

This has happened a few times now and I figure I should address it before it's too late.

I'll drive a short trip, stop, put the car in park, turn the key to the off position and remove the key but the engine will continue to run!

The only way I've been able to shut it off is hitting the brake pedal a few times or taking the car out of park.

Any suggestions on what to look into?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignition switch
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is that one whole module or is the key tumbler able to be separated? I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to get new keys too?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, google is a help tool.

It's separate. Now, Any vendors you would suggest that have a quality replacement?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

I replaced the ignition switch with an new OEM switch. The problem has reoccured twice since then.

Is there an ignition relay that could be sticking closed??

Both times that it happened I had removed the key and the engine stayed on along with the cluster being on too. I was able to turn off the engine by pressing the brake pedal for 5 seconds.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you do any work to your driver's side sun visor? Remove the sunvisor and see if the wires are pinched and shorted together. This used to happen and it would keep the terminal 15 power on.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Did you do any work to your driver's side sun visor? Remove the sunvisor and see if the wires are pinched and shorted together. This used to happen and it would keep the terminal 15 power on.
I did replace the visor with a different one not too long ago because the original one wouldn't go up. Either way, I checked and found the black wire must have been pinched at some point. It didn't seem as though it was shorted to the black wire but, just to be sure I wrapped them in electrical tape individually. Those are for the HomeLink right?

Fingers crossed again.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Homelink, switch for the mirror light, etc. but there are so many things tied to that circuit.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Danomatic93
I did replace the visor with a different one not too long ago because the original one wouldn't go up. Either way, I checked and found the black wire must have been pinched at some point. It didn't seem as though it was shorted to the black wire but, just to be sure I wrapped them in electrical tape individually. Those are for the HomeLink right?

Fingers crossed again.
Yes, and for the lights in the visor like Boston Driver said. Tape up the wires to insulate them and make sure them are routed properly when installing the visor, then see if your issue still happens. It sounds odd and I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me to explain it, but that used to cause the car not to shut off when the wiring issue with the visor happens.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Amazing. The more I learn about Gean engineering, the more I'm baffled.

Turn the ignition Off, the radio goes off. In most other cars it keeps playing as long as the key is in the ACC position.

But damn if turning te ignition off cuts off my vanity mirror light! How else am I supposed to pick my teeth or put eye liner on?

Quick Reply: Engine won't shut off