A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Excessive smoke!!!! 2001 2.8l

Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive smoke!!!! 2001 2.8l

My car has had an oil leak since I first got it and I was told it was my valve cover gaskets. I've gotten that fixed about a month ago but smoke was still coming from under the hood. I was told it would smoke for about a week because of the oil on the bottom of the car but it still continued to smoke. Come to find out I still have an oil leak somewhere. Last week I changed my oil I put a little extra in there (not a whole quart about a half) but I soon found out that that was actually a terrible thing to do. I did it because my car leaks so I figured it wouldn't matter anyway that extra half quart will end up on the ground. But every since like last week my car has been looking like a chimney, soooo much smoke is coming from my car when it sits idle after a drive. When I turn the car on and let it sit no smoke come out but after I drive there is so much. I thought this was the result of the car like burning off the excess oil but the oil is where it is suppose to be on the dipstick and it still smokes ridiculously bad. If anyone knows what is causing this I would greatly appreciate some information 😔 by the way the smoke is coming from the right side of the engine (under coolant reservoir) and out the front left wheel. Sometimes out the left side of engine im not sure if that info will help any diagnostics just letting you all know.

Last edited by John Elway; 08-19-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Elway
My car has had an oil leak since I first got it and I was told it was my valve cover gaskets. I've gotten that fixed about a month ago but smoke was still coming from under the hood. I was told it would smoke for about a week because of the oil on the bottom of the car but it still continued to smoke. Come to find out I still have an oil leak somewhere. Last week I changed my oil I put a little extra in there (not a whole quart about a half) but I soon found out that that was actually a terrible thing to do. I did it because my car leaks so I figured it wouldn't matter anyway that extra half quart will end up on the ground. But every since like last week my car has been looking like a chimney, soooo much smoke is coming from my car when it sits idle after a drive. When I turn the car on and let it sit no smoke come out but after I drive there is so much. I thought this was the result of the car like burning off the excess oil but the oil is where it is suppose to be on the dipstick and it still smokes ridiculously bad. If anyone knows what is causing this I would greatly appreciate some information 😔
Sounds like you need to replace more then VC gaskets, the half moon cam seals are the usual suspects on these engine's with age and miles.....many many threads and posts on this when doing a timing belt service, search the forums.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Sounds like you need to replace more then VC gaskets, the half moon cam seals are the usual suspects on these engine's with age and miles.....many many threads and posts on this when doing a timing belt service, search the forums.
I've been looking and still no look, I'm trying to avoid going to a mechanic due to financial issues.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Search the Forums

Originally Posted by John Elway
I've been looking and still no look, I'm trying to avoid going to a mechanic due to financial issues.
Found this link in under 3 minutes, good luck! https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post15202978
Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

you need to get in there with a flashlite, no one is going to be able to look for you , you know its dropping on to exhaust so tough it out and get in there.
before starting though I would stick my hand down the back of the head on the drivers side before even starting , if it comes up oily your cam plugs are leaking, I am suspecting the tensioner seals though if you did a goodjob on the vc gaskets.

I have to comment that if you cant even afford to have someone diagnose it for you and you are posting here to ask where an oil leak is coming from , your Audi ownership days may be brief.

good luck.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey John. It's usually this kit (Audi A6 Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Audi A6 Valve Cover Gaskets 30V) that people get when the oil starts to leak from around the valve covers. Especially on the right rear (drivers side/back of motor) area. If your already pulling the valve cover, just replace what the kit offers. It's not a very hard job, just google the step by step instructions. I know there's some on this forum. This is the cheaper kit, you may want to upgrade if you can afford it. Go Broncos!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

.......also, check your crankcase breather hoses (google it). If they're clogged, which is common on this motor, that pressure is going to blow oil out wherever it can. Careful with the plastic hoses, they are very brittle to say the least.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by blink
.......also, check your crankcase breather hoses (google it). If they're clogged, which is common on this motor, that pressure is going to blow oil out wherever it can. Careful with the plastic hoses, they are very brittle to say the least.
Good point Blink! This is one is also seldom overlooked, I had to replace the whole breather assembly and clean out the VC grommet's on the old 2001 2.8 our daughter owns.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I used that aluminum tape to repair that ridiculously brittle breather hose .. worked like a charm, you can get it in the hardware isle and is used to seal ducts ( no its not the traditional duct tape )
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have given up on "Duct Tape" for anything others that Gaffers Tape and Racers Tape uses.
The Aluminum duct tape has become my go-to solution for almost everything I used to do with fabric duct tape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive smoke!!!! 2001 2.8l