A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replaced Heater Core Hose - Now have Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Heater Core Hose - Now have Radiator Leak

I own a 1999 A6 quatro with just over 266,000 miles on the odometer.

Approximately 6 weeks ago, as I was driving to work, my car overheated. I stopped and checked under the hood and the coolant reservoir was empty and steam was pouring out when I removed the cap. I had my car towed to a local mechanic and was told the Heater core hose was bad. Also, I was told this part could only be purchased at an Audi dealership. So one was ordered and installed the next day. When I picked up my A6 I asked the mechanic how long the new part would last? He said “for a lifetime”.

Well, this morning when I was pulling out my driveway the thermostat light came on indicating low fluid. I put the car in park and raised the hood. Sure enough, the reservoir was almost empty. Luckily, I had bought an extra bottle of anitifreeze and had it in my trunk. I added enough to get me up to the Min line and drove 22 miles to work. I checked the reservoir when I got to work and the fluid level was still at the Min mark.

I’m not sure what to do next: Go back to the mechanic who replaced the heater core hose, Or add stop leak to the radiator fluid Or have it looked at by my local VW dealership (they’ve done good work for me in the past) and are 50 miles closer than the nearest Audi dealership.

What do do you think my next step should be in fixing this leak? Other than the heater core hose, what are some possible causes of the leak?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably didn't leak out after the repair. Audi's are notoriously difficult to bleed the air from the cooling system when the heater core is tampered with. In your case I suspect the mechanic didn't get all of the air out of the heater core circuit. Keep coolant handy just in case. Also maybe have your mechanic re-bleed the system to get out the air bubble. Absolutely do a pressure test on the cooling system before dumping "miracle" products into the reservoir. If you are not inclined to DIY then take it to a shop you trust.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bubble Seems to be the Problem

Thanks Harleyguy! I added coolant up to the fill line and that seems to have fixed the problem. I’m hoping it was only Air in the line. I’m surprised it took 6 weeks and more than a 1,000 miles before the air bubble broke.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Like I said. Bleeding the air out of the heater core circuit is difficult. Keep your eye on it. There may still be air in it. Glad it is working for you now.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The trick I have found to help is to unscrew the reservoir and lift it up when adding coolant. The bleeder on the block is too low to get all the air out.