A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front Caliper Rebuild Kits.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Caliper Rebuild Kits.

Does anyone have any information on a good front brake caliper rebuild kit? I was looking around, and all I can find is the components separate. It would be great to find a kit with everything necessary, and one that's considered a good kit. 2000 2.8.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Everything that is necessary" you already have in your to be rebuilt caliper! Disassemble, clean and reassemble.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that depends on what is damaged. If all is in good shape, Bernie is correct. In fact, if everything is in good shape, why rebuild? Clean everything, move the pistons all the way in to out a few times (use a wooden stopper, press pedal with caliper free of pads, slowly, to extend - then press back in, lubricate and clean with cheap brake fluid...).

But if a boot is torn, seal is hard, or piston is badly worn/pitted, you need a kit. I have seen seal kits. Have not seen with pistons too.

That said i have never rebuilt a caliper. I just clean them and put them back together (slides, etc) or clean the pistons/etc as above.

Flush fluid every 2 years.

Clean brake dust off them periodically ( water). It forms an abrasive cement.

Grant
Old 11-22-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
that depends on what is damaged. If all is in good shape, Bernie is correct. In fact, if everything is in good shape, why rebuild? Clean everything, move the pistons all the way in to out a few times (use a wooden stopper, press pedal with caliper free of pads, slowly, to extend - then press back in, lubricate and clean with cheap brake fluid...).

But if a boot is torn, seal is hard, or piston is badly worn/pitted, you need a kit. I have seen seal kits. Have not seen with pistons too.

That said i have never rebuilt a caliper. I just clean them and put them back together (slides, etc) or clean the pistons/etc as above.

Flush fluid every 2 years.

Clean brake dust off them periodically ( water). It forms an abrasive cement.

Grant
Yes. I've not seen pistons in a caliper rebuild kit. I've also just cleaned or in bad cases sanded (use 3M wet sanding paper and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the pistons afterward!) them and reinstalled them with new seals and dust boot.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did we mention to get everything clean?

Just checking.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did we mention to get everything clean?

Just checking.
OH, yeah! But again I just write for the moment. Short attention span. I also realize that wet sanding those pistons removes any anti corrosion coating on the aluminum (phenolic pistons on some cars but I think these are Al) exacerbating the maintenance desirability of biannual if not annual brake flush.

Reminds me I have to do some brake system flushing on 3 cars this year, but I'm waiting/procrastinating because I have to change out the front caliper rubber hoses. Also change oil on three cars….bleagh. It's not so bad if I keep up with them, but lost a few weeks with knee arthroscopy and don't want to get under there. Oil sucker FTW!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well that's good news. Usually I hear about an existing problem in the engineering of the component, and the best fix would be X, so this is good to hear. A light tear down, and clean. I can handle that. Thanks for the responses. I was on the path of rebuilding with new parts, as from a service perspective.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Step #1 - rehab the knee. I went through shoulder arthroscopy 4 years ago, and a bunch of partially torn ligaments, tendons and muscles in my knee ( skiing) two years ago. Rehab is the key.

And yes, all; those "easy" jobs chew up time and can be messy. I just polished and waxed 3 cars, changed over snow tires on two, and did a bunch of fairly simple maint and fixes.

Also agree that among the most important preventative maints is flushing fluid.

Happy thanksgiving. relax and overeat.

G
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Step #1 - rehab the knee. I went through shoulder arthroscopy 4 years ago, and a bunch of partially torn ligaments, tendons and muscles in my knee ( skiing) two years ago. Rehab is the key.

And yes, all; those "easy" jobs chew up time and can be messy. I just polished and waxed 3 cars, changed over snow tires on two, and did a bunch of fairly simple maint and fixes.

Also agree that among the most important preventative maints is flushing fluid.

Happy thanksgiving. relax and overeat.

G
Doing good on knee..full flexure, no tightening, it was just a minor removal of torn meniscus.

There's always something to do!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So, in effect, your advice for knees and calipers is the same? Open, clean out junk, lubricate, re-use existing parts?

Who'd have thought?

Quick Reply: Front Caliper Rebuild Kits.