A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front End Alignment Issues

Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had a chance to get under my car yet, since we are getting a big storm today, but I figured it would be good to replace the tie rod assembly on both sides of the car whether they are needed or not at this point, just to remove all doubt. I'm looking at ECS, Rock Auto, etc. and have noticed that none of the complete assemblies list the APB or BEL engines. On ECS in particular, the parts all mention a vin split in 1999 and are good up to this split, but nothing is noted for after the split (my car is a 2004).

Was there actually a change? I'm assuming the parts didn't change and I can get whatever....but does anyone know?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mohamedali21
Hey don't mean to steal your post but i have a simular problem and need some help.

[img=http://s30.postimg.org/v4al591cd/photo_2.jpg]

I took it to Mavis and they don't know hoe to adjust this. any ideas?

Mavis? Isn't that a rental center? Your picture does little to describe your problem. Unless you are going for the 4 x 4 look, and wondering how to get rid of some of that gap.

You should read what 4d4 says below. The only way to correct front camber (tires leaning in or out) is to buy a 400 buck camber kit that replaces a couple upper control arms or shift the subframe. The tie rods adjust the toe angle (think pigeon toed, and duck footed) as far as the front wheels are concerned. The rear has 2 eccentric bolts and washers that can adjust both. Have fun with the inboard toe angle bolt. That one beat me up for about an hour. Best bet, bring it to an alignment specialty place with experience in German cars. Or else you'll be flying through the rubbers (tires), me boy!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
A negative camber appears that it would definitely cause the exact issue I am looking at, so the sub frame may be the issue...
It might, but toe is more likely. Car is toed out.

I may try to turn the tie rod myself and see if I can break it free. If that is the case, then I can see the tire shop probably adjusted the tie-rod, but not the subframe (I can see why) and the issue stayed the same. I think I am finally getting somewhere now...
You won't get them free. Don't bother.

It may be worth replacing the tie rods anyway, they are cheap enough and I know all those parts seize from the road salt and dirt that they are subjected to....so for less than $80 I can remove one issue....
Do the tie rods, have the car aligned by someone who understands the problem and cares about the result.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't had a chance to get under my car yet, since we are getting a big storm today, but I figured it would be good to replace the tie rod assembly on both sides of the car whether they are needed or not at this point, just to remove all doubt. I'm looking at ECS, Rock Auto, etc. and have noticed that none of the complete assemblies list the APB or BEL engines. On ECS in particular, the parts all mention a vin split in 1999 and are good up to this split, but nothing is noted for after the split (my car is a 2004).

Was there actually a change? I'm assuming the parts didn't change and I can get whatever....but does anyone know?
Just FYI when I rebuilt my A4 front end I took it to the local Subaru dealer. They know how to do 4 wheel alignments and do it for $78 compared to about $400 at the Audi shop. Make sure your tie rod ends are tight.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Guys, thanks for the replies. I'm going to grab some new tie rods, pop them on this weekend and then take it to an alignment shop that was recommended to me by a guy who works on Audi's. There are very few places around that specialize in Audi's on Cape Cod, and the ONE guy that I think knows what he is doing told me to take it to this place, so I will try to get it to them on Monday with new tie rods already in place.

I think the dealership in my area is just lazy and didn't want to do it or know how. There was a guy who owned Audi/VW and he sold the Audi rights to another guy who owns many many dealerships in the area - and they appear to have gone from bad to worse. I would have paid the $190 they were asking for an alignment if it fixed my tire issues...
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok guys, so I took it to the shop who did the alignment 2 months ago and they checked it out. The showed me the computer and I spent some time in the shop with them. It looks like I have a -1.6 on the driver's side and -1.5 on the passenger's side for the camber, and the toe is within spec. They were aware that the subframe moved the camber and that the issue would not be corrected because it was even on both ends.

The pointed out that if they raised the front of the car quite a bit the camber became better, so the springs may be compressed.

My thinking is it is time for some new control arms. They suggested adjustable control arms.

What do you guys think of all this? Just get the adjustable control arms, leave the springs alone and be done with it? Or will regular control arms fix the problem? Or should I also do the springs/shocks? I have 265,000 on the original parts as far as I can tell...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After thinking about this, I'm assuming it's an issue with the uppers, but it could be the lowers that are letting the wheel come out too far if the bushings are shot (I'm just thinking, I could be wrong). In other words, I should probably bite the bullet hard and get all new arms. I don't have $1,000 to spend on 2 new tires and a set of control arms, but I'm gonna try to do it anyway.

I am looking at this kit, which will give me all new arms and adjustability:

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-a...y-4d0498998m-1

I know it isn't as good as lemforder, but I'm hoping it will get me another 75,000 or more.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Or a bad idea? Any thoughts?

I was looking at the shock kit from Blauparts and that's like $900 more - but I think I will leave that be for now and maybe change them in the future....
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just ordered the control arm kit from FCP Groton. It will give me the adjustable control arms and replace all of the arms, tie rod ends, etc. and I am hoping I will be good for a while.

The shop that worked on the car yesterday said the tie rods appeared to be fine, except one had a rubber boot that was completely torn - which they showed me and it was torn wide open. He said despite that it was still tight and in good shape. He was surprised about it, but it obviously will need to go.

Good to know the Audi place was just jerking me around. I am totally shocked! (Heavy sarcasm).
Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://postimg.org/image/v4al591cd/
basically what happen was the front right wheel is too close to the rear side instead of being center. This is the front right that's off. I'm still trying to see what cause it and took it to my mach and he didn't see anything bent.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mohamedali21; 03-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mohamedali21
http://postimg.org/image/v4al591cd/
basically what happen was the front right wheel is too close to the rear side instead of being center. This is the front right that's off. I'm still trying to see what cause it and took it to my mach and he didn't see anything bent.
I see what you are saying. Could you post a pic with the wheel off? Maybe some pics of the control arms, and their attachment bolts? Something isn't put together properly or there is an discrepancy with the assembly in there. Seems really odd though…. Some good pics may help myself and any others get a idea of what it is that could cause this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front End Alignment Issues