A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front End Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks promising. Make sure your not just pulling the tip over. Hopefully the entire thing is coming with it. Also, sometimes it helps to tap the metal thats bending back, to really solidify the repair. Basically banging the metal back in place around the bent area. Heck, you'll be driving by the end of the day.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
That looks promising. Make sure your not just pulling the tip over. Hopefully the entire thing is coming with it. Also, sometimes it helps to tap the metal thats bending back, to really solidify the repair. Basically banging the metal back in place around the bent area. Heck, you'll be driving by the end of the day.
Excellent point. What you're essentially doing now is cold working the frame bit the shock is attached to. Normally a steel frame is also heated to ensure it bends back where you want it to. The initial accident bend cold worked the frame and increased the strength where it bent. Forcing it back can cause the frame to bend behind or in front of the accident bend, so you heat the frame to encourage it to straighten out the bend.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think most of the bend was in the shocks, but he used them to get leverage on the frame. He thinks one frame end may be just a tad short, but given everything else I think we can just put a washer under the bumper shock to shim it out of the body does not want to line up.

The radiator cracked a tank, but the AC condenser and the ATF cooler portion of the radiator held up fine.

AC was vented in the disassembly so will need to get new o-rings and have it vacuumed and recharged.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default if shocks are bent I would replace them.

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I think most of the bend was in the shocks, but he used them to get leverage on the frame. He thinks one frame end may be just a tad short, but given everything else I think we can just put a washer under the bumper shock to shim it out of the body does not want to line up.

The radiator cracked a tank, but the AC condenser and the ATF cooler portion of the radiator held up fine.

AC was vented in the disassembly so will need to get new o-rings and have it vacuumed and recharged.
Good to use them to do the frame, but the shocks are critical.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Good to use them to do the frame, but the shocks are critical.
Critical in what way?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bit the bullet!

Went about $300 more than I wanted to get a silver parts car. ($900)
Ended up with a fairly nice 2002 3.0 (Good engine, bad transmission, good body, decent interior but smoked in, just the comfort package)
Two down sides:
1) No HIDs. Will have to get them latter, but for now halogens will be OK.
2) Some aftermarket pin striping, but fairly sure it will polish off. (If not will just have to get the car striped.)

I figured cheapest 2 fenders hood and bumper added up to $400, Radiator and core mount was going to be another $100, and 4 decent tires on decent rims would be $200.
Painting is at least $100 a panel, so I am ahead.

Now I have to get it home (about 20 miles), then put in the garage and the GL will have to sit out till the hulk is ready to be scrapped.

Last edited by N_Jay; 03-25-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit the bullet!

Went about $300 more than I wanted to get a silver parts car. ($900)
Ended up with a fairly nice 2002 3.0 (Good engine, bad transmission, good body, decent interior but smoked in, just the comfort package)
Two down sides:
1) No HIDs. Will have to get them latter, but for now halogens will be OK.
2) Some aftermarket pin striping, but fairly sure it will polish off. (If not will just have to get the car striped.

I figured cheapest 2 fenders hood and bumper added up to $400, Radiator and core mount was going to be another $100, and 4 decent tires on decent rims would be $200.
Painting is at least $100 a panel, so I am ahead.

Now I have to get it home (about 20 miles), then put in the garage and the GL will have to sit out till the hulk is ready to be scrapped.
Are the seats black and heated?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Are the seats black and heated?
Yes, a black interior, and since it has the comfort package, I am pretty sure all four are heated.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, a black interior, and since it has the comfort package, I am pretty sure all four are heated.
The cold weather package is heated seats and the stupid ski sack at least on a 04, anyways PM me with some pretty pics if you can, you may have a buyer for the front seats if the car is for parts outside of what you need.

Last edited by jcman; 03-26-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: correction on option name
Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, If the climate control has the heater settings for the bun warmers it's there.

Quick Reply: Front End Parts