A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front End Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Does that include radiator, radiator mounts, AC, etc.?
I don't see why not. The one thing I do notice on the 2.7T vs the 2.8 is that the 2.7T has a electric cooling fan in front of the radiator so I'm not sure if that matters
Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is hard to say. I can see reasons why it would be the same b ut German engineers seem to always find reasons to make things different.

I was hoping to find someone who had compared then or swapped them.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Look for specific parts in this PDF. http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Catalog..._PartsList.pdf
You'll notice slight different part numbers for different engine sizes(usually last letter at the end is different). It might fit but I don't know. I would stay within the same engine and years: '98-01, 02-04.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
Look for specific parts in this PDF. http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Catalog..._PartsList.pdf
You'll notice slight different part numbers for different engine sizes(usually last letter at the end is different). It might fit but I don't know. I would stay within the same engine and years: '98-01, 02-04.
I would like to stay within the same year range and engine, but that greatly reduces the opportunity to find parts at the best possible price.

That is why I was hoping someone here could share some personal experience.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The first set of pictures are in

Here goes.
If anyone has any helpful hints they will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images      

Last edited by N_Jay; 02-21-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Just start disassembling from the front. Take pictures unless you're familiar with what goes where.
The last shop that worked on my S6 front end collision failed to put the horns back on and didn't have the sense to replace the O-rings in the transmission cooler lines, among other things. I took the car to the dealer and they did another $2K worth of work to it (they had to redo the transmission fill among other things).

You can start by ordering the radiator mount, headlights (I'd do both unless the left one is really clear), fender, front bumper. Look around at what you can see is bent and order it.
If the hood is bent and it's aluminum, you'll have to replace it. They generally can't be fixed. A steel hood can probably be fixed less expensive than replacing it, depending on how badly it's warped.

The front bumper cover comes separate from the absorption bits…you might be better off getting a complete used bumper assembly (shokan.com is one source) and having it repainted. I would remove the headlight washer covers and paint them separately and reattach them.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-21-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately I am doing all this by "remote control", as the car is in Buffalo and the work is being done by my daughters fiancé.

Yes, the headlights are HID and (were) perfect, it was a garage kept car.

The first pass due to time and money issues is to get it back on the road. (Ugly)

Once I get it back here we will start the proper fix.

My two big concernen are what to look for that might bite us later.
1) Are there signs that repair is not a bolt on fix?
2) Are there little things that can hurt the cart if not addressed properly?

Looks like a bumper assembly (used) runs $100 to $250, and a the core radiator mount runs about the same.

At some point it may be better to buy a parts car either with a bad engine, transmission or hit in the rear.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

More pics.
Not looking great as the bumper shock mounting points look bent.
Attached Images     
Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

More times than less, a hit like that, that pushes the bumper across the front end in one piece, takes the frame horns with it. For a garage job, get the replacement bumper assembly, cover or not, and make sure it bolts up square. Measure from identical fixed points in an X pattern, like you would to square a box. Also, remember to measure the height of those horns, up and down, and left to right.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it does not bolt up square, do you have any idea how hard it is to bend it back?
Do you have any reference measurements to get it "close enough"?

Quick Reply: Front End Parts