A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front impeller cv joint

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front impeller cv joint

I recently replaced the entire impeller assembly on my vehicle (2.8 tip). I have no symptoms of vibration, or noise, but when I was under the car the other day I noticed that the front cv looked like it had spun a good amount of grease out of it. When i grab the shaft where it enters the cv joint in the front, I can get it to move. The movement seems to be coming from where the shaft is surrounded by the joint. Almost as if the collar that bolts to the cv, is loose on the shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default cont......

Also, how does the hood that mounts the cv to the drive shaft actually mount? Is it a bolt, or a c-clip? The play comes from the hood mounting to the drive shaft, not the actual cv.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
Also, how does the hood that mounts the cv to the drive shaft actually mount? Is it a bolt, or a c-clip? The play comes from the hood mounting to the drive shaft, not the actual cv.
Here is your best bet:

1) Search the Forums, this subject has been explained to great detail regarding replacement and servicing over many years.
2) On the top of the page drop down the Tools tab and click on Tech Articles,
very useful info on just about everything DIY.

When you can describe the proper name of the CV shaft components I'm sure someone can help you, hood don't ring a bell and I'm not being snarky by any means.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah i didint even have a clue my car had an impeller .. pics would certainly help.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, prop shaft. I,m not sure why it's stuck in my head as a impeller shaft. What I calling the hood is the component that mounts the actual joint to the drive shaft. While it is still considered part of the cv, the actual component of the joint is what I was asking for help with. It looks like a top hat. I think a picture would be unnecessary. If your unfamiliar with this component, then leave this thread alone. The drive/prop shaft in these cars are problematic when it comes to servicing them. This forum, and the people on it, is where I came for help with this problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Airbag, surprise! Your vehicle does have an impeller. Its more of a water pump component than a driveline part, but you still have one. I thought that more people would have this particular issue.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If your unfamiliar with this component, then leave this thread alone. The drive/prop shaft in these cars are problematic when it comes to servicing them. This forum, and the people on it, is where I came for help with this problem.
Oh no, I'm very familiar with CV joints and have re-booted several along with replacing whole shafts on Audi's.

My point is you can take the time to research or provide good questions that the members chew on to really help you, I know why I'm here and as a matter of fact I have provided very much help to members vs. asking for help, be careful on reading or replying into something else that does not exist when so far all I have done is directed you to help yourself first.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't take any offense to my reply. What I was looking for was clear and concise. I have searched this forum, as well a good bit of the internet. This issue has not been posted anywhere. There is plenty of prop shaft replacements, center bearing issues, and overall vibration threads, but nothing for this particular issue. I assumed, as with much of the issues I have come across on my vehicle, that this issue is trans or model specific. You were just being cheeky because I was naming the part incorrectly. That's not very helpful.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't take any offense to my reply. What I was looking for was clear and concise. I have searched this forum, as well a good bit of the internet. This issue has not been posted anywhere. There is plenty of prop shaft replacements, center bearing issues, and overall vibration threads, but nothing for this particular issue. I assumed, as with much of the issues I have come across on my vehicle, that this issue is trans or model specific. You were just being cheeky because I was naming the part incorrectly. That's not very helpful.
Then name the part correctly or take a pic and point to it so everyone knows what you are talking about, plain and simple blink.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

........so, have you a reply to the issue?

Quick Reply: Front impeller cv joint