A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlight Washer Nozzle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Washer Nozzle Replacement

I've already STFA. I looked in the Bentley, and it says the bumper needs to be dropped in order to replace the nozzle. I just KNOW that can't be necessary, but I can't figure out how to remove the old nozzle (with one of two sprayers missing) so I can drop a new one in! It really looks like a press fit, although it could be a screw-in. (replacement has ribs on the shaft "similar" to screw threads but they don't seem to spiral around...kind of like a body clip on steroids.)

I have the decorative cover off, by the way.

2002 A6 2.7T
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever figure out how to replace the nozzles? I can't find anything on it. Thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default How to replace washer Nozzle

Originally Posted by mtnsearch
Did you ever figure out how to replace the nozzles? I can't find anything on it. Thanks

I had a similar problem with my Q5.................Buy a replacement nozzle, comes with everything that you need. On your car gently pull out the damaged jets, till you can reach them, on the replacement part just remove the missing nozzle and place it firmly back in the hole where the old one came from (use gorilla glue to carefully hold the replacement, use VERY little glue) Give it time to dry and it should work, without removing the entire front of the car. Costs around $20:00 and takes an hour at most......!
Old 07-21-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yes and no.

Originally Posted by RedBaron A6
I've already STFA. I looked in the Bentley, and it says the bumper needs to be dropped in order to replace the nozzle. I just KNOW that can't be necessary, but I can't figure out how to remove the old nozzle (with one of two sprayers missing) so I can drop a new one in! It really looks like a press fit, although it could be a screw-in. (replacement has ribs on the shaft "similar" to screw threads but they don't seem to spiral around...kind of like a body clip on steroids.)

I have the decorative cover off, by the way.

2002 A6 2.7T
Bumper cover needs to come off to replace the entire headlight washer assembly, BUT most of the time you don't need to replace the entire assembly. The 'alien' head will pull right out of the washer assembly...just pry it up and pull it out.

Unfortunately, the head isn't available separately, you have to buy the entire washer assembly. Pull the head out of the new washer assembly and put it into the old washer assembly. You'll have to pop off the bumper-colored trapezoid cover on the old head and snap it onto the new alien head...preferably before you put the new head into the old assembly.

If your old washer assembly is leaking around the shaft, you'll probably have to replace the entire assembly. The alien 'eyes' are what generally fail...they pop out and disappear. Some people save their old alien heads and use the non-missing eyeball to repair a missing one...you have to install the eyeball and then superglue the cracked eyeball orbit or else the first time you hit the headlight washers the replaced eyeball will disappear as well.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Bumper cover needs to come off to replace the entire headlight washer assembly, BUT most of the time you don't need to replace the entire assembly. The 'alien' head will pull right out of the washer assembly...just pry it up and pull it out.

Unfortunately, the head isn't available separately, you have to buy the entire washer assembly. Pull the head out of the new washer assembly and put it into the old washer assembly. You'll have to pop off the bumper-colored trapezoid cover on the old head and snap it onto the new alien head...preferably before you put the new head into the old assembly.
Reviving an old thread in hopes of getting some guidance...

I have purchased a replacement washer assembly from JP Group and can't figure out how to pull the head out and remove. I am trying to replace the head on my 2001 A4 Avant (Facelift). Thanks for any help.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DenverB5
Reviving an old thread in hopes of getting some guidance...

I have purchased a replacement washer assembly from JP Group and can't figure out how to pull the head out and remove. I am trying to replace the head on my 2001 A4 Avant (Facelift). Thanks for any help.
To be more clear - I am able to pull on the existing/broken jet that is still in bumper and raise it up. I have the new jet on my desk and can't see how I can remove the head on the new one to replace the old.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Citizen

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The head/extension just pulls out. I used the process in comment #4, above.

If you have an air compressor, you can put some air to the body to extend the head...that might help to understand where it comes apart.

Last edited by KMTSME; 03-07-2023 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DenverB5 (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I got it!

Originally Posted by KMTSME
The head/extension just pulls out. I used the process in comment #4, above.

If you have an air compressor, you can put some air to the body to extend the head...that might help to understand where it comes apart.
The alien head on the new part didn't want to budge, but the original did pop off. Then i realized I just had to be more convincing!

Thanks for the write up, help and patience all!
Old 03-09-2023, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Citizen

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Good news that - you're the new 'expert'

Thanks for the followup.

Ken