A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlight washer pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight washer pump not working

I got my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T back in October and is my first Audi. I am working out some minor things and using this board as a valuable resource. Just for starters, the windshield washer pump works fine. When I took out the inner wheel well liner, I noticed the plug for the headlight washer plug was dangling free. I removed the tank and discovered there wasn't a headlight washer pump and the hole where it would insert was plugged. I then ordered a replacement pump and got it a couple days ago and used a vehicle jump starter and tested the pump to make sure it works and it did. I connected it to the headlight washer plug and turned on the lights and pulled the washer lever back and held it for several seconds and nothing. I plugged it into the windshield washer plug and it does work on it. I can hear a relay click when I hold the lever back more than a second. I've done searches on what might be wrong with the pump not working and am now at a loss. I have replaced fuse 37 with a 30A fuse too. What could it be at this point?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken wiring going to the pump. Check the voltage at the plug while someone activates the headlight washer pump.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurraywv
I got my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T back in October and is my first Audi. I am working out some minor things and using this board as a valuable resource. Just for starters, the windshield washer pump works fine. When I took out the inner wheel well liner, I noticed the plug for the headlight washer plug was dangling free. I removed the tank and discovered there wasn't a headlight washer pump and the hole where it would insert was plugged. I then ordered a replacement pump and got it a couple days ago and used a vehicle jump starter and tested the pump to make sure it works and it did. I connected it to the headlight washer plug and turned on the lights and pulled the washer lever back and held it for several seconds and nothing. I plugged it into the windshield washer plug and it does work on it. I can hear a relay click when I hold the lever back more than a second. I've done searches on what might be wrong with the pump not working and am now at a loss. I have replaced fuse 37 with a 30A fuse too. What could it be at this point?
Also, just because a relay clicks doesn't mean it works. Relay failures are low, but nonzero.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what are the basic ways to test the relay without purchasing another one? resistance across certain terminals? Remove the relay block and test the wires coming out of the back when activated? Which wire should I look for which sends current to the headlight pump? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Google is your friend.

http://www.circuitstoday.com/how-to-test-a-relay
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In place, put your hand on it and see if it clicks.

Out of car, apply power to input terminals and see if the output terminals short (close to zero resistance across them). That's what a relay does. You will need a pin-out, or some time testing.

Grant