A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

headlights not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights not working?

got in my car tonight and try to turn on the headlights.. not working. the parking lights hazards and turn signals work fine. is this my ignition module gone bad? loose wire? anyone experienced this before? thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepope
got in my car tonight and try to turn on the headlights.. not working. the parking lights hazards and turn signals work fine. is this my ignition module gone bad? loose wire? anyone experienced this before? thanks.
Silly question, but what about checking the fuse? Are they HID, or halogen?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

halogen. fuse is good. parking lights come on. hazards work. turn signals, high beams and low beams are non functional.. where do i start? anyone have any links on how to remove steering column and or the headlight switch?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

just got in the car and the horn and all of my volume and radio changer buttons arent working either. is there a fuse inside the steerting column? all of my fuses in the box are good.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so read around a few forums and the problem seems to be either a relay or the ignition switch. ill try the relay first since its much cheaper and easier to replace.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone have any input? i still cannot find the culprit. i need a wiring diagram obviously.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Might help a little: If you pop the cover off of the fuse box and flip the cover around it lists the circuits and their corresponding fuses.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

anyone have any input? i still cannot find the culprit. i need a wiring diagram obviously.
relays are located under the knee bolster on the drivers side.

IIRC there are 5(8mm) bolts, 2 on the bottom, one through the side where the fuse are located and two more up by the steering column (you will have to remove the plastic between the steering wheel & cluster to expose those).

(photos courtesy of gpsmagazine)

IGNORE THE CIRCLED AREA

The two 8mm bolts I'm referring to, are to the left and right of the steering wheel on the lower portion of the bottom photo.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 10-27-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

387 SHOULD BE the Lamp Control Module (J123)... hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge will correct/confirm just to be on the safe side.

just got in the car and the horn and all of my volume and radio changer buttons arent working either. is there a fuse inside the steerting column? all of my fuses in the box are good.
If you're talking about the controls on the steering wheel, there should be a Control Module for Multi−function Steering Wheel(J453) to the left of 387 (I don't have a MF steering wheel, so my slot's empty). It won't say J453, but it should be filling both slots to the left of 387.

-------------------
As far as removing the headlight switch:

Video is for the Allroad but I assume it's the same for most Audi's with the same/similar switch.
Originally Posted by elchino37
In the off position, push the switch in and slight turn to the right.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i honestly think its my ignition switch. ive already got half of my steering wheel removed. got stopped when i got to the m12 triple square bolthead.. ordered the tool and it got here yesterday. ordered the replacement part and its ready to install. just need some free time and daylight. will do this tomorrow. reason i think its my ignition switch? all of the functions that arent working are the ones that dont work when the car is just the on position. horn, turn signals, headlights, wipers, fan blower, radio controls on wheel.. doesnt this sound right? all of these arent on the same relays and i doubt two or three relays went at the same time unless theres another problem which i doubt. weve smelled the smell of burning plastic in the last few weeks... i checked the relays under the knee bolster (all of them) and none of them looked bad. its gotta be this ignition switch. what do you all think?

Quick Reply: headlights not working?