A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

headlights not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

If I had this problem I'd start checking the earthing points. Find the common earth for those circuits.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If I had this problem I'd start checking the earthing points. Find the common earth for those circuits.

you wouldnt happen to know where the grounds for these circuits are off the top of your head would you?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so it was the ignition switch. took me about an hour to replace. plastic on the other one was burned out quite badly.. thanks for the suggestions and links!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by thepope
i honestly think its my ignition switch. ive already got half of my steering wheel removed. got stopped when i got to the m12 triple square bolthead.. ordered the tool and it got here yesterday. ordered the replacement part and its ready to install. just need some free time and daylight. will do this tomorrow. reason i think its my ignition switch? all of the functions that arent working are the ones that dont work when the car is just the on position. horn, turn signals, headlights, wipers, fan blower, radio controls on wheel.. doesnt this sound right? all of these arent on the same relays and i doubt two or three relays went at the same time unless theres another problem which i doubt. weve smelled the smell of burning plastic in the last few weeks... i checked the relays under the knee bolster (all of them) and none of them looked bad. its gotta be this ignition switch. what do you all think?
i'm having the same problem.... its not all the time tho... if everythings working fine and i try to turn my high beams on it'll cut off my headlights and everything else that you mentioned wont work. is your car the same way or it never cuts on??? i'm going to try to change the relays tomorrow, cause im getting rid of it...so please if you did solve the problem let me know asap, thank you
Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by newguy85
i'm having the same problem.... its not all the time tho... if everythings working fine and i try to turn my high beams on it'll cut off my headlights and everything else that you mentioned wont work. is your car the same way or it never cuts on??? i'm going to try to change the relays tomorrow, cause im getting rid of it...so please if you did solve the problem let me know asap, thank you
He said it was the ignition switch.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thepope
i honestly think its my ignition switch. ive already got half of my steering wheel removed. got stopped when i got to the m12 triple square bolthead.. ordered the tool and it got here yesterday. ordered the replacement part and its ready to install. just need some free time and daylight. will do this tomorrow. reason i think its my ignition switch? all of the functions that arent working are the ones that dont work when the car is just the on position. horn, turn signals, headlights, wipers, fan blower, radio controls on wheel.. doesnt this sound right? all of these arent on the same relays and i doubt two or three relays went at the same time unless theres another problem which i doubt. weve smelled the smell of burning plastic in the last few weeks... i checked the relays under the knee bolster (all of them) and none of them looked bad. its gotta be this ignition switch. what do you all think?
Your marklars are wise and true. Never really know till it's fixed though.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have no high beam when I push the lever away. However, high beam works when I pull the lever back to flash the lights. Fuses ok. Two different power sources though - the flash works always, the high beam position is only supposed to work when the headlights are on.
Does anyone know if there are two separate relays - one for flashing the lights, one for selecting high beam? Seems unlikely but I'm just clinging to the hope I don't have to replace the switch...
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter Q
I have no high beam when I push the lever away. However, high beam works when I pull the lever back to flash the lights. Fuses ok. Two different power sources though - the flash works always, the high beam position is only supposed to work when the headlights are on.
Does anyone know if there are two separate relays - one for flashing the lights, one for selecting high beam? Seems unlikely but I'm just clinging to the hope I don't have to replace the switch...
You need to start testing with a volt meter. The passing brights do not go through the light switch. That function is designed to work even with the light switch off.

There are three wires coming into the headlight switch I want you to test for power.

With the ignition on:
Test these tree wires for power (They are at the headlight switch so you will have to remove it.

The red wire.
The yellow wire with the black stripe
The brown wire with the green stripe (I'll have to double check this as it may be a ground but get me results before I dig any deeper)

Edit: BTW my money says Red is constant hot for park lights. Yellow/black is switched hot from ignition and green it the ground return from the relay. Just guessing here but let me know what oyu find.

Also, this post is for the thread jacker. You really should start your own thread but these answers are for you. The OP has resolved his issue.

Last edited by sounddude; 03-01-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Peter Q

I Am Having The Same Problem On My A6 2010 Le Mans High Beam Does Not Work When Pushed Away But When Pulled For Flashing The Lights They Work ? Did You Find Out What The Problem Was In The End ?

Thanks Kurtis
Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Replaced the column switch, not too difficult, just the normal trepidation about whether or not the air bag is going to go off in your hands...

Quick Reply: headlights not working?