A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP HELP HELP! Botched timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP HELP HELP! Botched timing belt.

So I'm pretty sure that I messed up when putting the new belt on. Put everything back together and have this huge shaking coming from the engine. Getting these codes.

16775 Camshaft Position Sensor (G301): Implausible Signaland
16750 Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank 1 (G300): Implausible Signal

I took those descriptions from some other posts (don't know why those codes aren't in the Bentley manual)

Seems like a timing issue, and here's the kicker... I did it with out the cam locks. I know, let me have it for trying something so stupid. I'll take all the criticism you've got AudiWorld.

But now what!?!?!? Please any help would be appreciated. Also, coolant started pouring out the bottom after start up which makes me think that I did something wrong with the water pump so I'm gonna start there and see what I get.

Please help!! Thanks so much.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I assume you saw/followed this?? AudiWorld Tech Articles

Go back, double and triple check.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was the one I followed. Great write up and I can't figure out where I went wrong. Was incredibly deliberate counting teeth and marking up the old belt and the gears. Beating myself up over this now.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uglybread88
This was the one I followed. Great write up and I can't figure out where I went wrong. Was incredibly deliberate counting teeth and marking up the old belt and the gears. Beating myself up over this now.
Stop. Go back. Start over. Counting teeth and marking stuff will NOT work. Use the correct procedure and lock the crank and use the correct tool on the cam sprockets. Throw your markers and chalk and finger nail polish in the trash. Good luck.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 08-06-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Exactly. If you follow PART of it, you have to follow ALL of it. The engine really cares where the cams are in relation to the crank, and it is nigh on impossible to mount up a belt without the cam holders at the very least. I've done it without locking the CRANK on a V6 and V8, but NEVER without locking the cams.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok guys. Found a mechanic willing to lend me the cam locks for $50 down the street. Am motivated to get this done CORRECTLY today.

My only question is how do I get everything to TDC again. The cams have moved as well as possibly the crank. What next?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by uglybread88
Ok guys. Found a mechanic willing to lend me the cam locks for $50 down the street. Am motivated to get this done CORRECTLY today.

My only question is how do I get everything to TDC again. The cams have moved as well as possibly the crank. What next?
Why would you rent the tool for $50 when you can own it for $115?

Amazon.com : Audi A4 A6 3.0L V6 Master Camshaft Timing Tool Kit : Other Products : Everything Else Amazon.com : Audi A4 A6 3.0L V6 Master Camshaft Timing Tool Kit : Other Products : Everything Else
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Because I can't afford to wait 5-7 days for the item to ship here.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Exactly. If you follow PART of it, you have to follow ALL of it. The engine really cares where the cams are in relation to the crank, and it is nigh on impossible to mount up a belt without the cam holders at the very least. I've done it without locking the CRANK on a V6 and V8, but NEVER without locking the cams.

Ok. So I have the cam locks now. I just hope I'm not too late to get it all lined back up. If I get the locks on and my crankshaft is TDC according to the mark on the lower timing belt cover, am I back on track? I'm going to have to turn the camshafts by hand from the gears, which is not easy but if I get them all back to original spots and the locks fit on am I ok?

Feeling very lost right now. Def should have started with these locks but just didn't have the money to purchase or rent ($500 deposit from blauparts) initially. In desperate need of some assistance. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cam locks are on. Timing seems to be set. Only question now is if the crankshaft is absolutely right. How can I tell if I set the crankshaft?

Quick Reply: HELP HELP HELP! Botched timing belt.