A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP Smoke from Tail pipes (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Smoke from Tail pipes (Video)

Hello. Let me start by saying I know nothing about cars other than how to put gas in them. And even then sometimes I have problems. Anyway I went to start my car last evening and I got loads of white smoke coming out the tail pipes. Any Ideas what would cause this?
A friend of mine said you're burning oil. but couldn't elaborate.
I also saw somewhere on youtube to check for cream substance under oil cap but its dark brown so I dont know. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Heres a video of whats going on.
2004 Audi a6 2.7 Turbo
Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does it smell like?
Oily?, Sweet?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ouch. The best advice I can give a know-nothing is to use a dealer or independent

Originally Posted by Leanne Green
Hello. Let me start by saying I know nothing about cars other than how to put gas in them. And even then sometimes I have problems. Anyway I went to start my car last evening and I got loads of white smoke coming out the tail pipes. Any Ideas what would cause this?
A friend of mine said you're burning oil. but couldn't elaborate.
I also saw somewhere on youtube to check for cream substance under oil cap but its dark brown so I dont know. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Heres a video of whats going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf6xkDRTUWs
2004 Audi a6 2.7 Turbo
Especially for a twin turbo 2004 audi. The internet is not a substitute for a minimum mechanical aptitude leavened with a minimal video game proclivity.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Ouch. The best advice I can give a know-nothing is to use a dealer or independent
Especially for a twin turbo 2004 audi. The internet is not a substitute for a minimum mechanical aptitude leavened with a minimal video game proclivity.
I agree, but going in armed with what he can learn here is better than going in blind.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!!!! It is definitely oily smell no sweet at all.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it started suddenly, I would suspect a turbo.

Fix it soon, or the cats will be destroyed.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. Quick question. Could something like that happen if no oil was in the car? Or the wrong oil? Or even way too much oil? I ask because the Low oil pressure light came on. And I did put the wrong oil in. It should be synthetic. My friend said get that oil out of there so I'm trying to drain it now but there's alot more oil in there than I thought.... Got to get more buckets! If that doesn't work then I will check the turbos as you suggested. Thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are WAY over your head.

Short runs with the wrong oil won't hurt anything.
Short runs with too much oil can make lots of smoke, but usually don't hurt much. (but can)
Short runs with too little or no oil can destroy the engine.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Leanne Green
Ok. Quick question. Could something like that happen if no oil was in the car? Or the wrong oil? Or even way too much oil? I ask because the Low oil pressure light came on. And I did put the wrong oil in. It should be synthetic. My friend said get that oil out of there so I'm trying to drain it now but there's alot more oil in there than I thought.... Got to get more buckets! If that doesn't work then I will check the turbos as you suggested. Thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate it.
Yikes... Get it towed to your nearest Indy shop ASAP! I agree it's a turbo... Or both...
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah it usually starts out that way but Im determined Thanks! I will keep you posted!!!!

Quick Reply: HELP Smoke from Tail pipes (Video)