A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hi! New C5 A6 owner here, and I have a few questions:

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
The primary negative about the dvd manuals is that, should you have a hard drive crash, you may end up losing one of your licenses, unless you have the foresight to remove the license before the crash.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. Now I'm torn again.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeOhBe
Meh, what's done is done. I'll be sure to check em every so often, thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking at this Bentley manual..

Congrats on the "new" ride... Looks just liek mine!

Cheapest place for the Bentley is actually a BMW site! Go figure!

Paper
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Audi_Servi.../BNT-A604.html
DVD
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Audi_Servi.../BNT-AC55.html

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

To clarify, I'm talking about minor alligator skin, not a BF crack at the fitting.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think it was a mistake other than the $50 and that's between you and your wallet. I've never had a braided stainless steel or kevlar brake hose deteriorate to the point of replacement while clearly the rubber ones do (deteriorate).
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have both…the bentley hard copy and the eBahn DVD. The problem with the eBahn DVD is it only works on Windows XP…I have Windows 7 Professional and have to run eBahn with a virtual PC. It's a pain to boot up the virtual PC. Bentley has told me they're working on upgrading to whatever, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sometimes I just want to sit down with a real service manual/book rather than filthify the keys on my laptop….
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by massboykie
Congrats on the "new" ride... Looks just liek mine!

Cheapest place for the Bentley is actually a BMW site! Go figure!

Paper
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Audi_Servi.../BNT-A604.html
DVD
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Audi_Servi.../BNT-AC55.html

Cheers
Massboykie
Ha, I was actually just about to order the paper version from their ebay store, but it's 10 bucks cheaper on their actual website. Thanks, hadn't thought to check.

Going with the paper version after checking the bentley website for system requirements on the dvd version. Apparently, if you have Win 7 home premium, you need to setup a virtual pc using third-party software. No thanks.
I figure I can just take pictures with my phone or tablet, or use the scanner on my printer, if I want something lighter to carry around.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Yup. Rubber is plenty for road use. Plus it stands up better to water and sand.
I disagree. The OEM rubber ones clearly didn't stand up to water and sand and whatever got thrown at them to crack.

PVC-coated braided stainless steel teflon lines or kevlar braided teflon lines, OTOH, will last virtually forever. I ran SS lines on my 87 saab 900T for over 15 years without a problem…and they were almost as shiny as when new. I also ran SS braided over teflon oil aeroquip lines from a remote oil filter from 1973 to 2008 on four different cars, and the only problem I had was the SS was eaten away in a couple places by battery acid (memo to self…don't run SS behind battery box) but the teflon line was undamaged. Subsequently I use kevlar braided lines that are pretty much impervious to everything.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I have both…the bentley hard copy and the eBahn DVD. The problem with the eBahn DVD is it only works on Windows XP…I have Windows 7 Professional and have to run eBahn with a virtual PC. It's a pain to boot up the virtual PC. Bentley has told me they're working on upgrading to whatever, but I'm not holding my breath.
That's only part of the problem. They will charge you for the privilege of the upgrade. Their customer service is the pits.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Sometimes I just want to sit down with a real service manual/book rather than filthify the keys on my laptop….
Yeah, and with me being on Home Premium, it's an even bigger pain.
No worries, though. I have some options for digitizing my analog book when it gets here, if I ever feel the need.
Besides, I like having a book around, too. Watching em get grimy over the years serves as a pretty good reminder of how much money they have saved me. And I get the feeling this one is going to be well worth it.

Thanks again for the input, guys. Hopefully I don't run into too many problems with the maintenance I plan on doing myself, but it's nice to know I can always bug you all if I do.

As for my gremlin, I'm pretty sure he lives in my turn signal stalk. Gonna try that next, will post results when I do.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd this.

if you cut apart a factory line its not a "rubber hose" - its a 3 layer rubber, nylon mesh, rubber hose that is likely more durable than most SS braided bling, and will not balloon either. Im sure once that was true, but not on these cars, not today.

Grant

Quick Reply: Hi! New C5 A6 owner here, and I have a few questions: