A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How to Diagonose No Crank/No Start? 2.7T 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard is it to get an alligator clip[ on the starter and check for voltage?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I was clear on how to troubleshoot this
Im out until basic checks have been done.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
I was clear on how to troubleshoot this
Im out until basic checks have been done.
I'm on it today so long as the wife and I can get it push started and into the garage.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Check for 12v at ignition wire to solenoid. With ignition on ( the small wire )
If present check braided wire from solenoid to starter. ( usually burns up on Bosch starters, had 2 done so far.)

If starter motor removal is necessary, disconnect inboard cvjoint and remove heat shield. Remove starter through passenger wheel well

I have found getting the alternator out is a real pita, just fighting with the damn electrical connectors is enough for me to say forget it .

If the headlights work, dont dim during starting ,all other electrics work and you dont even hear a click , i doubt its the battery
Alright, I got all of the panels under there removed plus the intercooler rubber hose... I clipped an alligator clamp on the shorter wire that goes to the starter. Other end to the negative battery terminal. I've got a constant reading of 12.6v or so (with the wire off the starter)... Here's the problem, that current is present even with the key off. Should that be so? I had my wife jump in to turn the ignition on with the clutch depressed and it dropped ever so slightly in voltage to like 12.4v. The wire I am referring to is the short one that comes off the wiring loom and onto the starter, attached with a 13mm nut. What's next? I was under the impression that I should only have power there with the ignition on.

Edit: Just saw that there is another, even small wire that has a plug on it. Having a hard time getting it off currently, I think it's a push to unlock plug but so far it's tough to get in the right position.

Last edited by Gsrob; 09-28-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Alright, got that sorted. I got the plug off and tested it. No voltage prior to turning the key then just over 12v when the key is on. So the starter is definitely getting juice. I'm taking it that this means I need a new starter? Also, Airbag, have you dropped the starter through the fender well as you stated in the previous post?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The heavy wire is to the battery and should have 12V all the time.
The thinner wire is from the key switch (through any starter control circuitry that the car has) and should have 12V when trying to start.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have a winner!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lastly, I checked the other braided cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor. The best I could do is check it at the nut that it connects to but it gets power upon trying to turn the key as well, just under 12v. Is there any other way to tell if that short braided cable is bad or fried? I sprayed some brake cleaner up there and it looks fine to the eye. Guess I'm going to find a starter...
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the braded cable is un-insulated, it is aground strap, and should not have 12V but should be at ground.

The starter usually has one large cable from the battery, but on some model cars also has the mail power going to the rest of the car taken from that connection. (Usually a bolted connection)

The ground USUALLY comes from being mounted to the engine and transmission, that have a ground strap to the body or back to the negative of the batter (or both)
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ignore the text... I found this on a thread from a whle back.

The braided wire in question is the copper looking one near the top right that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor itself. It's definitely some type of power wire.

Quick Reply: How to Diagonose No Crank/No Start? 2.7T 6MT