A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New C5 3.0 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C5 3.0 owner...

I picked up an '02 C5 3.0 Sedan about a month back. Since I've picked it up I've mostly been cleaning it up via detailing the interior and working on minor scratches/scum.

I've always been the type to do as much DIY projects as possible and would like to know what options are available for my C5. My first act of business is installing my XM satellite head unit. I'd like some tips/idea's on where to mount it. My current thought is on the passenger side of the Symphony unit, in between the unit and the beige plastic trim enclosing the unit. It would be angled towards me, without blocking buttons, but also able to be seen by the passenger. Anybody done this? Anybody have any other places they have placed an XM deck?

Also, I've seen how there is a "secret" setting for the equalizer, but I'm not sure if it will work on my car or not. I can't find the link, so if anybody knows of a link that will work on mine I would appreciate it.

Another question has to do with the performance of it. I know that the 3.0 has the least amount of mods, best thing is to Turbo it. But I'd like to think there is something there is something I can do to get a bit more low-end power. Seems like there is quite a bit of lag till I feel the power when accelerating from a stop. I'm 21 anymore and don't do the stop light to stop light racing, hell...I don't "race" at all anymore. I'd just like to feel that I can get up to speed a bit quicker. Any idea's tips? Again, DIY is preferred for now.

I've also noticed that occasionally when I get in my car and start it, I have sometimes see my dome lights stay on. Like a door is ajar. First time it happened I checked all my doors and it continued to happen. After doing some research, go Google, that this is a common problem with our C5's. I haven't however been able to find a decent write up on how to resolve the issue. Anybody?

This is probably a simple answer, but I'm curious if its possible to change/flush the transmission fluid myself. I haven't seen any dip sticks in engine compartment for the tranny fluid, so I'm assuming it has to be done at a proper shop. Figured I'd ask anyways.

Wow, I feel like I'm coming across as a needy kid joining this forum, but after being part of a Duramax forum for some time, I feel this is the best place to ask questions! If you guys know of any types of DIY sites for C5's that would work on my vehicle, I am greatly appreciative. I've look at this site, http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html, but there doesn't seem to be any old post's with pictures. :-/ So if you have anything like it, PLEASE post it for me!

Thanks again for any responses and tips!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ComplexGinger
I picked up an '02 C5 3.0 Sedan about a month back. Since I've picked it up I've mostly been cleaning it up via detailing the interior and working on minor scratches/scum.

I've always been the type to do as much DIY projects as possible and would like to know what options are available for my C5. My first act of business is installing my XM satellite head unit. I'd like some tips/idea's on where to mount it. My current thought is on the passenger side of the Symphony unit, in between the unit and the beige plastic trim enclosing the unit. It would be angled towards me, without blocking buttons, but also able to be seen by the passenger. Anybody done this? Anybody have any other places they have placed an XM deck?

Also, I've seen how there is a "secret" setting for the equalizer, but I'm not sure if it will work on my car or not. I can't find the link, so if anybody knows of a link that will work on mine I would appreciate it.

Another question has to do with the performance of it. I know that the 3.0 has the least amount of mods, best thing is to Turbo it. But I'd like to think there is something there is something I can do to get a bit more low-end power. Seems like there is quite a bit of lag till I feel the power when accelerating from a stop. I'm 21 anymore and don't do the stop light to stop light racing, hell...I don't "race" at all anymore. I'd just like to feel that I can get up to speed a bit quicker. Any idea's tips? Again, DIY is preferred for now.

I've also noticed that occasionally when I get in my car and start it, I have sometimes see my dome lights stay on. Like a door is ajar. First time it happened I checked all my doors and it continued to happen. After doing some research, go Google, that this is a common problem with our C5's. I haven't however been able to find a decent write up on how to resolve the issue. Anybody?

This is probably a simple answer, but I'm curious if its possible to change/flush the transmission fluid myself. I haven't seen any dip sticks in engine compartment for the tranny fluid, so I'm assuming it has to be done at a proper shop. Figured I'd ask anyways.

Wow, I feel like I'm coming across as a needy kid joining this forum, but after being part of a Duramax forum for some time, I feel this is the best place to ask questions! If you guys know of any types of DIY sites for C5's that would work on my vehicle, I am greatly appreciative. I've look at this site, http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html, but there doesn't seem to be any old post's with pictures. :-/ So if you have anything like it, PLEASE post it for me!

Thanks again for any responses and tips!
Most if not all of the questions you ask can be answered by STFA or google without rehashing them on the forum. OTOH, if you have some questions or ideas or clarifications needed, the forum works well.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I might get trolled, but I'm also working on fixing my wife's laptop...decided to let it drop off the bed onto the dc plug in with the cord in it. :-/ But anyways, I've never seen STFA before...so what is that exactly? If that's site's search feature, I have used it. Lol
Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"Another question has to do with the performance of it. I know that the 3.0 has the least amount of mods, best thing is to Turbo it. But I'd like to think there is something there is something I can do to get a bit more low-end power. Seems like there is quite a bit of lag till I feel the power when accelerating from a stop."

The best thing to do is sell it and buy a 2.7 bi-turbo, which is better in every conceivable way, for less money than a turbo kit.

Spending money on that moor is like throwing it away. Spend your money on suspension, live with the performance, or, seriously, get a used 2.7 and 6-sp (or stouter automatic) and plop it in. Built like a battleship, your 3.0, more of a china doll.

Grant
Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
"Another question has to do with the performance of it. I know that the 3.0 has the least amount of mods, best thing is to Turbo it. But I'd like to think there is something there is something I can do to get a bit more low-end power. Seems like there is quite a bit of lag till I feel the power when accelerating from a stop."

The best thing to do is sell it and buy a 2.7 bi-turbo, which is better in every conceivable way, for less money than a turbo kit.

Spending money on that moor is like throwing it away. Spend your money on suspension, live with the performance, or, seriously, get a used 2.7 and 6-sp (or stouter automatic) and plop it in. Built like a battleship, your 3.0, more of a china doll.

Grant
G is much nicer than me. I agree, leave it alone or go for a 2.7.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Welcome here!

STF or STFA is search the forum really not sure what the A is maybe already or some other nice word.

I do own a 04 with the "Well Loved and Illustrious" 3.0 with 87k no major problems so far and I will never even attempt to mod this engine based on too many disastrous stories of add-on super chargers and none on turbo's as it would be a total waste mentioned by others, two big deterrent issues are the compression ratio of 10.5:1 and the lack of forged pistons that can not handle enough boost to make it worth the efforts.

There is no secret mode to enter on the Symphony II radio head for tweaking an equalizer, you can only set codes with vagcom.

Plenty of info on the trans fluid/filter service here even on some of the parts vendor sites that place adds here.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also own a well loved 03 3.0 C5 Avant - pure stock with 202K miles (actually have two - my wife's B6 Cab has a 3.0 with 90K). Not the most loved Audi engine by a lot of accounts and they only made it for a couple years (which might tell you something) but I've been happy with mine. But if you want a turbo, go for the 2.7T. I would say something about how reliable they have been but I'd be afraid to start them in the morning.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
I also own a well loved 03 3.0 C5 Avant - pure stock with 202K miles (actually have two - my wife's B6 Cab has a 3.0 with 90K). Not the most loved Audi engine by a lot of accounts and they only made it for a couple years (which might tell you something) but I've been happy with mine. But if you want a turbo, go for the 2.7T. I would say something about how reliable they have been but I'd be afraid to start them in the morning.
Actually the 3.0 was made across 4yrs starting in 02 and included in the A4's up to 05, interesting fact is the 3.0 is the lightest V6 in the C5 class by 80lbs but is no race engine for sure but it does have more power then the 2.8 and it was noticeable by me compared to the 01 we had.

Last edited by jcman; 04-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Turbo is not something I'd be preforming on this car. Eventually I'll be giving this to my wife, once finances are a little bit better. I'm looking more for DIY mods maybe one month at a time, costing around the $100 price range. I know I can do the normal intake/headers/exhaust setup, but even those aren't going to be the easiest to come by, to a point.

I'll be ordering a knock off Vag-Com tonight from ebay. Balling on a budget currently. Lol, not out in North Dakota anymore driving trucks. :-/ Oh well...back in Central Oregon I am here driving trucks and doing physical labor. Lol.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

$100 price point is elusive. Where would i go with such a car? Coilovers with fresh bushings as needed and a good corner weighting ( way over $100); good alignment; rebuild the brakes yourself - concentrate on smooth sliding action of all moving parts; the best tires you can afford ( of course, tires are generally neither good nor bad but have different trade-offs like wet vs dry, grip vs wear). IMNSHO exhausts are a very poor investment and good ones cost the moon.

Keep in mind that the 3.0, while not a terrible motor, is not nearly as robust as the 2.8. 2.7 (a brute) or 4.2. or the legendary, oil-optional, I5.

Grant

Quick Reply: New C5 3.0 owner...