A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How many miles can an Audi engine last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Wow. There is a LOT to consider before even trying to start it.

Originally Posted by AudiThree
I have a 2001 A6 2.7T with 198k miles. Has been siting for about 5 years now. Had clutch issues. I want to revive it. Ready to change the clutch. Any ideas on what else I should consider changing and what to look out for? I know i have to do the batteries, the spark plugs, the oil and filter, tires, etc. Not sure what else I should prepare myself for. Engine was running strong before I let it sit.
Not least is the varnished fuel system, probably seized fuel pump, seized pistons, etc.
You'll need to pull the plugs and squirt in marvel mystery oil or something similar and let it sit for a week before even trying to move the pistons. I would yank the cam covers and inspect the valve train. Remove and clean out the critter nests in the intake/air filter box.

There's a great article in Roundel this month regarding resurrecting an engine/car that was left sitting for 10 years. 5 is a lot shorter, but unless the engine was properly prepared/fogged/sealed and the fuel system prepped (five years ago they still had EtOH in fuel so you can bet the tank is slagged. Anything rubber is suspect, the coolant is now five years older and it was probably suspect when you laid the car up and is certainly due to be changed now.

Go through the entire engine BEFORE you try to even turn it over and do not use the starter!!!!

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just passed 200K in my 1998 A6 2.8 the other day! The thing still runs like a top!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by the_duke
Well it's not really fair to judge a brand by one car. Had you done some research you would know that the early 2000's 3.0 is one of the worst engines ever made. I don't have the time right now but i'm positive I could find a similar issue with Mercedes, BMW, and really all car makers. It's impossible to get it right 100% of the time. I also notice you don't mention the year and model on your Merc's. Mercedes had a few years with not so stellar quality. Always research before you buy. Even new cars can be lemons.

I own a 2004 A6 2.7T and it is quite reliable. Of course minor issues happen. I recently had to replace the TBB but other than that it's been great. It does only have 100k on the clock but I have no doubt it with proper maintenance it will run for a long, long time.

I also own a 2005 A8L 4.2 and it is also great. Linkage arms on the intake and I will be replacing the PVC soon. other than that it's awesome. 140k and I expect to go well beyond 200k.
to the Duke
Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my review of my wifes A6. You are correct that all auto manufacturers have their lemons. I have been very fortunate to have only received the one Audi produced. I owned an '85 VW Jetta Diesel that gave me 250k miles before I handed it down to my son for his first car. He was 1 year old when I purchased it new. I had no mechanical issues with that car for its entire life. The Mercedes I have owned (and still do) are the '90 300E 3.0 liter, a '97 E320, and a '98 E320 4matic wagon. Our success with the brand prompted my son to recently purchase an '08 E350. I actually have owned many other vehicles and brands over the last 45 years and can honestly say the Audi has been the most disappointing purchase that I have ever made. You are also correct that I am to blame for not doing more research prior to the purchase.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Not least is the varnished fuel system, probably seized fuel pump, seized pistons, etc.
You'll need to pull the plugs and squirt in marvel mystery oil or something similar and let it sit for a week before even trying to move the pistons. I would yank the cam covers and inspect the valve train. Remove and clean out the critter nests in the intake/air filter box.

There's a great article in Roundel this month regarding resurrecting an engine/car that was left sitting for 10 years. 5 is a lot shorter, but unless the engine was properly prepared/fogged/sealed and the fuel system prepped (five years ago they still had EtOH in fuel so you can bet the tank is slagged. Anything rubber is suspect, the coolant is now five years older and it was probably suspect when you laid the car up and is certainly due to be changed now.

Go through the entire engine BEFORE you try to even turn it over and do not use the starter!!!!

Good luck.

This is not always the case but can be. Iv had plenty of good luck with finding cars that have been sitting years and years and with minimal work they run and are good cars again. 5 years is not long enough for pistons to seize tho.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Further to this thread, my 2.8 just reached 380K. Just had the timing belt changed and hope for another 200K. want to see if can reach the 1M mark.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default That's amazing!

Originally Posted by amaranth999
Further to this thread, my 2.8 just reached 380K. Just had the timing belt changed and hope for another 200K. want to see if can reach the 1M mark.
You must live in a very mild climate no salt on road or in the air.

Last edited by jcman; 02-08-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

1,000,000 Km here with an A4 B6. That's about 621,000 miles.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

"Only" 155k miles on 98 2.8 A4 5 speed. It runs great, but despite efforts to solve, leaks require regular oil checks. Belt/pump changed 2nd time at 135k, plugs twice I think. Nothing else of note. Car would run a lot longer but now needs control arms and some other stuff and we (especially wife) losing interest, time, and need for another AWD in winter where this car is amazing.

Our new S4 and other cars are getting most miles and (more important) the garage bays now, so 98 now sits outside, and is unhappy doing it. It's too bad. We bought it new and loved it...a great car...if maintained. All oil changes at < 5k miles (Castrol)...my Euro Indie garage said they hadn't seen a cleaner old/mileage Audi motor. (But it IS an Audi, and will always require something).

To the OP my guess is the engine would easily outlive us (at our age..) if we kept and cared for it
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Well, it could be proof of amsoil synthetic and an oil analysis program.
Amsoil supposed to be 25K miles or one year, but I know people that run it for 100K miles with a bypass oil filter. You change the main oil filter every six months and the bypass once a year, topping up as necessary and every year doing an oil analysis.

FWIW, I still change oil on the the wife's 2K4.2A6 every 8K miles and oil analysis says the oil is good. Got 155+K miles on it so far. The S6 is supposed to go 10K miles between oil changes but I often do it at 8K. Factory oil change interval is 10K on the 02S6 and 8K on the 2K4.2A6. Amsoil 5W-40 Euro spec full synthetic.

Fair disclosure, LIfetime Amsoil Dealer.
Hello,
Sorry to bother you. I write you because i am thinking in buying a second hand audi s6.
It is a 120k miles one with timing belt changed and rotors also.
As a owner what do you think?
Is the engine strong enough?
Could you please tell me your experience??
Additionally, do you know if is easy to access the different parts in order to do maintance on my own??
Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default worried about the transmission, not the engine.

Originally Posted by Bravomalaga
Hello,
Sorry to bother you. I write you because i am thinking in buying a second hand audi s6.
It is a 120k miles one with timing belt changed and rotors also.
As a owner what do you think?
Is the engine strong enough?
Could you please tell me your experience??
Additionally, do you know if is easy to access the different parts in order to do maintance on my own??
I put a rebuilt trans (from Audi) in at $107K and I babied the thing from 64K on when I bought mine used in 2008; trans fluid and filter changed before I brought it home. The engine is pretty strong and reliable and you can do most of the maintenance on your own. Unless you've changed a timing belt on an interference engine before, this is probably not the first one to start on although depending on what you pay for the car you might blanch at $2K TB service (includes tensioners, water pump, idlers, serpentine belt and tensioner, etc.). The engine is strong enough to do 155+ (speed limiter but that can be removed through ECU reprogram or reflash...I don't recommend it) and it's very nice. The intake manifold flaps and the controller/vacuum motors are an issue; they WILL carbon/sludge up and freeze. A new intake manifold complete with vacuum motors is about $1600 these days. I've put on at least one although it was covered under the extended warranty I bought from Audi.
The catalytic converter(s) were covered by Audi for 10yrs/100K miles on a free extended warranty by Audi (apparently there were issues and they settled with EPA); in my case the cats were fine (I still have the OEM 02 sensors at 145K+) but the flex pipes rotted/failed.

At 120K mi you're looking at shock replacement (although I have 145+ on my 02S6) perhaps. Good that it has new rotors and pads, that's around 3-400 if you do it yourself; a lot depends on what pads are used. Some people put extremely low dust pads on and sacrifice stopping/fade power. You don't need gonzo race pads (bad on street anyway, need to warm up) or Hawk HP+ (great pad, relatively easy on rotors, but as dirty or worse than OEM), Hawk HP are sufficient and they're slightly less dusty than OEM.

140K you should consider replacing the voltage regulator (worn brushes) or be prepared to do so sooner or later. The battery is tough to replace; heavy as hell and right up near the windshield, 95AH OEM but you could probably fit a 75AH in there...the clamp adjusts for shorted batteries.

These things are freakin' expensive to repair...a minor fender bender cost my insurance company almost $12K and I was out the car for almost 4 months, including the time it was at the dealer post-collision shop for additional repair ($2K included in the 12K above).

I wouldn't pay more than $8-10K for one with 120K on it. Mainly because of the transmission issue.

Quick Reply: How many miles can an Audi engine last?