A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

That is a yaw sensor.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Also…have you done anything recently with the steering wheel, taken it off, or messed with the clockspring?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doh, a stupid mistake. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BojanA6
I'm not sure it's called ESP sensor but I'm talking about this thing (attachment).

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with ESP, there's a problem with it and it won't let my engine run past 2500 RPM. Again, we're all just guessing here.

As soon as I fix the problem, and I sure hope it will be soon, I will let you know what was causing the problem.

Thanks for your time man.
Yes this is one part or input sensor for the ESP/ABS system.

Now you have to ask yourself a question:
Is the EPC system causing a problem with the ESP not functioning?
OR
Is the ESP system causing a problem with the EPC?

IF you can throw money/parts at a problem and not be sure then your throwing dice.

Paying money to find out what problem you have is no gamble.

Last edited by jcman; 02-19-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm gonna go with the ESP causing the trouble because, yesterday, when I had no faults on the dashboard, I pressed the ESP button (the button for turning it on/off) and I got the ESP fault on the dashboard, and when I pressed it again it disappeared. So I'm pretty sure it's the ESP messing up my car. And I hated the damn thing ever since the start of it. Let ME drive my car. I don't want no computer doing the work for me. If I wanted that I'd just use the bus to get where I'm going.

As soon as I fix this problem, IF it's the ESP fault, I'm going to try to rip the thing of my car - not have the thing on the Audi at all. If that's possible?

And just a quick thought - jcman - you keep saying eCp, but I'm getting ePc fault on the dashboard. Is it just a typing mistake or is it entire different thing?

@SloopJohnB@mac.com

No, I haven't been messing around the steering wheel lately. Or messing around anything for that matter. It just started all of a sudden.

Last edited by BojanA6; 02-19-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I meant EPC "electronic power control" not ECP that I edit corrected all of my threads, sorry for that confusion.

My advise and comments still stand regarding the order of events that are occurring first causing the other.

Not trying to sound bad here, did you know that when the ESP button is pressed you will see the yellow ESP light indicating it's off, so if you leave it on "no ESP light" does the EPC light come on?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But that same ''yellow light'' (I added an attachment in my first post, you can see how that yellow light looks) comes on when I floor the pedal and that's when it blocks me from going over 2500 RPM, the yellow light (ESP) AND the EPC light. They come on at the exact same time. That's why i assume it's the ESP problem that's messing things up.

We can talk here for an eternity until I replace that ''ESP sensor'' or, if that fails, go to see a proper diagnostic at the mechanics.

I just thought and hoped some of you had the same exact problem as me so I could just replace the broken part, without having to pay the mechanics and their diagnosis.

I will fix the problem soon and will let you guys know what was the actual problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok but if you don't turn the ESP off does both ESP & EPC lights come on?

Here is what I see when I hit the ESP button.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
AFAIK there is no EPC light…it's the ESP light, the first one that the OP showed lit, the yellow light with the triangle in it. It basically indicates traction control of one or another types…an individual brake is being pulsed due to lack of traction or being applied as a function of the electronic stability program thinking you want the car to turn/yaw based on the steering angle sensor saying one thing and the yaw sensor saying it ain't happening, or it's happening too fast (over steer), or there's too much slippage and braking the slipping wheels ain't working and therefore the only thing to do is cut power or various or all wheels are slipping in an acceleration situation. AFIK in all these cases the ESP 'light' lights.

Further, for cars without ESP, specifically my 4K4.2A6, that light illuminates when the ABS works on braking or acceleration OR the system (traction control in my case) cuts power.
The OP has the same ABS/EDL/ESP "Advanced Traction Control" system I do, so as with any traction control system the module takes over the throttle control also to limit power and slip based on the movement of the car compared to the wheel sensors.

I can say that for most of my driving the ESP is left on and when the system is working the ESP light will flash until the car is in the sweet spot of being straight and hooked-up.

EPC as described by the manual is the by the wire throttle control and the only time it's illuminated should be before a engine start afterwards it should be off unless there is a problem.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 02-20-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I may have a similar but less severe version of this. I am keying into your repeated statement of "flooring it". This is when you cannot get the engine to go above 2500 RPMs. I also have the issue that if I floor it when entering the highway, thus with the steering wheel slightly turned, the ESP activates and the car is automatically slowed, thus overriding my "flooring it". It also happens even when I just "floor it" on the highway with minimal if any angle on the steering wheel.

If I just let off the gas a bit, all goes away and I get control of acceleration once again. I interpret this as an overly sensitive sensor somewhere within the traction control system. Meaning that it thinks I am losing control and the traction control system takes the initiative to slow me down. It activates the brakes and it also activates the engine control by lessening the acceleration. At the time the system initiates I am not losing traction, but it thinks I am or maybe that I am about to.

I previously posted on this forum asking if there was an adjustment that could be made to desensitize this program. I was told no. My resolution is to not "floor it" when I am blending into traffic, or when I want to pass someone. As long as I am more conservative on acceleration I am fine. If it does kick in all I need do is back off on the gas a bit. Then it goes away.

Perhaps your issue is like mine but more severe??? Mine does not set any codes. I have the Ross VCDS and have checked it after the fact, not when it is occurring.

Does your issue occur when you are less aggressive on the gas? Or, does it go away if you back off on the gas? I know you said it was not tripped if you drove like an old person. But just how easy on the gas do you have to be in order to not trip it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM