A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Humming noise in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise in the rear

I have a 1998 A6 quattro. One of my favorite cars I've ever owned. for some time now there's been this loud and very annoying, i must say, noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. Here's the weird part, the car drives dead silent when Im cornering to the LEFT! At first i thought it was just the wheel bearing but after replacing that it made no difference. Im starting to think it might have to do with the differential considering it did seem a little loose when I was in there. Can someone help me confirm this before I dive into another project?! Or could there be something else that is wrong?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PUt the car on jackstands and run the wheels in D.

Originally Posted by Ellis Rogers
I have a 1998 A6 quattro. One of my favorite cars I've ever owned. for some time now there's been this loud and very annoying, i must say, noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. Here's the weird part, the car drives dead silent when Im cornering to the LEFT! At first i thought it was just the wheel bearing but after replacing that it made no difference. Im starting to think it might have to do with the differential considering it did seem a little loose when I was in there. Can someone help me confirm this before I dive into another project?! Or could there be something else that is wrong?
You should be able to locate the noisy component.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellis Rogers
That wheel bearing is bad. It changes noise when you corner because load on the bearing changes. Get this repaired ASAP, the wheel bearing can eventually blow apart and the wheel seprates from the car....