Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 42150
 
A4 Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago/DC
Posts: 153
Default I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant

I read a great many posts here and finally took Grant's advice and purchased ST coilovers for my Avant. I was leaning toward the KW variant 1 and just found too many drivers saying that while the ride was great it was often overly harsh. The corner handling was not worth the ride. Anyway, I actually contacted two Audi service departments and an Audi race org and they all stated, as Grant had, that the ST's are ideal for the S6 that will spend more time on the street than the track. Have I mentioned that they are half the price of the KW's and made by the same company?

Anyway, installation and an all wheel alignment later, wow. This is how the car should come stock. I have not really put it into hard turns yet and the springs are breaking in, but the car's turning is now purposeful and deliberate instead of yaw'y. Granted my old springs had 100K on them, however, I don't remember the turning on rails feeling before. I'll write a more detailed writ up after a few thousand miles, but by all indications now, the ST's are the way to go unless you really are planning on more track time than commuter time, then go with the KW's.

FWIW, and I have no idea where service departments get information like this, but one service department told me that Audi has actually looked at using the ST as the stock spring, however, there is no real requirement for the complexity of a coilover for stock, and it comes down to dollars and cents. The ST is simply more expensive than the stock springs. Again, where do people hear rumors like these?

Finally, I am in the NoVA area right now, and it is stunning the difference an alignment makes. This might become a six month habit instead of annually.

Thanks for the advice Grant (Just Me).
A4 Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 80057
 
GTA_Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,277
Default

Interesting. I may end up putting ST coilovers on my Allroad if and when I decide to get rid of the air suspension. Good price, and I dont' want a harsh ride.
__________________
2005 AR 2.7 Black: GIAC stage 1, 710N, H-sport sway bars, Depo LED taillights

Past Audis: 2001 A6 4.2 | 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro 5-spd | 1993 100 CS Quattro | 1984 5000 CD turbo FWD
GTA_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 2251
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4 Phil View Post
I read a great many posts here and finally took Grant's advice and purchased ST coilovers for my Avant. I was leaning toward the KW variant 1 and just found too many drivers saying that while the ride was great it was often overly harsh. The corner handling was not worth the ride. Anyway, I actually contacted two Audi service departments and an Audi race org and they all stated, as Grant had, that the ST's are ideal for the S6 that will spend more time on the street than the track. Have I mentioned that they are half the price of the KW's and made by the same company?

Anyway, installation and an all wheel alignment later, wow. This is how the car should come stock. I have not really put it into hard turns yet and the springs are breaking in, but the car's turning is now purposeful and deliberate instead of yaw'y. Granted my old springs had 100K on them, however, I don't remember the turning on rails feeling before. I'll write a more detailed writ up after a few thousand miles, but by all indications now, the ST's are the way to go unless you really are planning on more track time than commuter time, then go with the KW's.

FWIW, and I have no idea where service departments get information like this, but one service department told me that Audi has actually looked at using the ST as the stock spring, however, there is no real requirement for the complexity of a coilover for stock, and it comes down to dollars and cents. The ST is simply more expensive than the stock springs. Again, where do people hear rumors like these?

Finally, I am in the NoVA area right now, and it is stunning the difference an alignment makes. This might become a six month habit instead of annually.

Thanks for the advice Grant (Just Me).
Where did you get them from?
__________________
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 42150
 
A4 Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago/DC
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Where did you get them from?
I got mine from Tire Rack. They are actually slightly less expensive ordering from ST directly.
A4 Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 210142
 
D's Avant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Default

So, how is the ride quality compared to stock? 10-20% firmer??? Thanks...
__________________
Current '08 A6 Avant
Previous '99 A4 Avant 1.8 QM too many mods
D's Avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 42150
 
A4 Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago/DC
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Avant View Post
So, how is the ride quality compared to stock? 10-20% firmer??? Thanks...
Ride is firmer. Yes, in the 10% to 20% range, however, dampened nicely. When you hit rough stuff, the ride really does not suffer. On the other hand, cornering is a dream with that added stiffness.
A4 Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,525
Default

Good that it's only 10-20% stiffer than a worn S6...how many miles on old suspension? 100K and new shocks alone will give great improvement.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 2251
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4 Phil View Post
I got mine from Tire Rack. They are actually slightly less expensive ordering from ST directly.
hmmmmm... don't see them there at the moment. Just a couple of KW sets. I wonder if they're getting hard to source.
__________________
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
hmmmmm... don't see them there at the moment. Just a couple of KW sets. I wonder if they're getting hard to source.
Yep...A6, not S6, out of stock, due in July 4??!

Apparently the ST coilovers fit...but they're not specifically for the S6.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 2251
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,846
Default

So can anyone tell me how much these reduce the ride height of an S6 at their highest setting? The spec says 1.6 to 3" when I found them under A6. I'm not sur that I really want to drop my S6 1.6" for driveway clearance reasons. I am wondering if after 11 years maybe they have sagged a bit already, but I'm not quite sure I can afford a drop quite that far. I guess I need to check the ride height measurements in the Bentley manual and see where I am at this point.
__________________
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2002, audi, coilovers, s6, st


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community