A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
View Poll Results: What's The Max HP The Stock Automatic Triptonic Handle Before it Fails?
300Hp
0%
350Hp
0%
400Hp
33.33%
450Hp
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

immobleizer let's u drive with unprogramed key???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobleizer let's u drive with unprogramed key???

A tech came over to program a key that the dealer says the immobleizer couldn't be programed. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway... only out 60 bucks if it don't work... didn't work. But when he was testing if it worked he could start it and Rev it put it in gear take it out. It stayed running but the immobleizer light kept flashing after he went back to his van to research why, he told me it was because he set my original key to close to the immobleizer (he put it where the e break is) and it was reading it still instead of the other one. Trying to get remote start put in, tech needs spare key to hide in dash and trick immobleizer Into thinking it's in the ignition. Could I have him use my original key and I use the unprogramed one and light will just fkash and everything else fine or will the immobleizer just lock up at random and I'll be stuck towing to dealer.. oh and can vag com undo the locking that occurs from wrong key lock out?? Any help is appreciated

Last edited by Juschiln19; 05-23-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same problem as above with Audi TT Roadtster immobilizer

Originally Posted by Juschiln19
A tech came over to program a key that the dealer says the immobleizer couldn't be programed. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway... only out 60 bucks if it don't work... didn't work. But when he was testing if it worked he could start it and Rev it put it in gear take it out. It stayed running but the immobleizer light kept flashing after he went back to his van to research why, he told me it was because he set my original key to close to the immobleizer (he put it where the e break is) and it was reading it still instead of the other one. Trying to get remote start put in, tech needs spare key to hide in dash and trick immobleizer Into thinking it's in the ignition. Could I have him use my original key and I use the unprogramed one and light will just fkash and everything else fine or will the immobleizer just lock up at random and I'll be stuck towing to dealer.. oh and can vag com undo the locking that occurs from wrong key lock out?? Any help is appreciated

I have the same problem. I replaced battery in spare key when I bought this 2002 Audi TT 1.8 Roadster and then attempted to use it. Car died after 1/2 second every time. Then it started up hours later after code was cleared, but the code I was given by AutoZone was P0170 I think.. anyway it was the code for running lean, possible vacuum leak or bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Which should not have produced those starting issues or specific symptoms. Thought it was weird but hard to argue with a documented code and running car.

Then it happened again. I killed the battery dead trying to start it then had it towed to Pep Boys who told me it needed a new battery and hoses.. they cleared codes but didn't mention immobilizer. And there it was running again.

I had it towed back to the same Pep Boys when it happened again THE NEXT DAY. They said it was the battery and I must have an alternator problem. They charged battery and it started-after clearing codes again.

Took a week to happen again. This time I had it towed to a different Pep Boys who told me, after clearing codes, I needed yet another battery since I completely drained the one before. So I bought another.

A week later, yep, AGAIN. Towed it to 2nd Pep Boys who told me it was immobilized by the Immobilizer unit and had thrown an "incorrect key" code. They said I would need to tow to dealer. On a hunch I asked if they could simply pull the cables off of the battery terminals for a while and mimic a dead battery. They did and it started.

It is now a week later and it happened again. I am sitting in sweltering heat in a park in a strange city because I can't start my car and have no one here to help. I tried disconnecting the battery but still won't start. My thought is I need to clear codes.

Anybody have any solution? All I have is a huge 10 lb crescent wrench. It's hot...

I'm thirsty... Hungry...

I'm ...

Dying..

help... someone...
Old 07-28-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

For starters (no pun intended) you are on the wrong forum. This is for C5 cars (A6 1998-2004). How many batteries do you plan on buying before you get some one that understands these cars to look at it? Don't know where you are but you should find an independent shop that works on Audi's regularly and have them diagnose the issue. The generic scan tools that Auto Zone and others use, don't get down to specifics on VW/ Audi. They will give some of the codes related to the CEL but not much else. Or you can keep buying batteries, your call.