A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Intake flap pivot leavers stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake flap pivot leavers stuck.

I bought a used 2000 A6 Quattro with the 4.2L ART Engine. The previous owners had really neglected this car for the entire 2 years that they owned it. Ive noticed busted linkages to the intake pivots, the vacuum actuators seem ok. Im curious if I can just find the linkages or will I need to buy the actuators all together as a set. They probably had been broke for some time, I cant get the leavers to budge any at all. Tonight I had sprayed wd40 towards the outer race pivot casing in hopes that it soaks in enough to making it slightly easier to tap out, We'll see... I found this nice write up online and thought I's share the tutorial. quattroworld.com Forums: 40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )...
So yeah, This is what I'll be doing next. The two pics below are of my car. (please excuse the dirty dusty engine. When I get all the issues worked out she's going to shine like a new penny. =D Here is the link to the tutorial. This really is a great write up. I'd appreciate any other input someone may have doing this job.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool. It's about time I check they are working properly on mine.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default It's a good write up but:

Originally Posted by A6Quattro2000
I bought a used 2000 A6 Quattro with the 4.2L ART Engine. The previous owners had really neglected this car for the entire 2 years that they owned it. Ive noticed busted linkages to the intake pivots, the vacuum actuators seem ok. Im curious if I can just find the linkages or will I need to buy the actuators all together as a set. They probably had been broke for some time, I cant get the leavers to budge any at all. Tonight I had sprayed wd40 towards the outer race pivot casing in hopes that it soaks in enough to making it slightly easier to tap out, We'll see... I found this nice write up online and thought I's share the tutorial. quattroworld.com Forums: 40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )...
So yeah, This is what I'll be doing next. The two pics below are of my car. (please excuse the dirty dusty engine. When I get all the issues worked out she's going to shine like a new penny. =D Here is the link to the tutorial. This really is a great write up. I'd appreciate any other input someone may have doing this job.

If you pull the rod out too far the rod drops out of it's hole/slot in the back of the intake manifold and you will need to somehow torque up the rod until it goes back into the hole in the back of the manifold.

Second, the vacuum motors are getting hard to find alone…they're available as part of a $750 repair kit from Audi, but you should be able to source a vacuum motor (if the diaphragm is torn) from lamborghini or land rover.

Vacuum Motor for manifold
Cruise Control Actuator Vacuum Bladder Range Rover Classic Discovery 2 II land
Also Lamborghini Part #: 077907327A

I used a land rover part and had to slightly enlarge one hole on the mounting plate to clock the motor to get the correct angle (90degrees) of the ball shaft to the link.

The links are available in billet form from Gruven:

Audi/VW 4.2 V8 Intake Manifold Linkage Arms - Gruven Parts
Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The rods came out of the socket at the rear when I fixed the frozen flaps on my wife's 4.2 in her Touareg. Did not have a problem wiggling them around to get them back in. Dremel was key to "hone" the bushings on the front mounts. More than a year has passed and still turning freely. Did have to get a replacement Gruven rod when the socket bushing broke on one. Replaced for free with the lifetime guarantee.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks SloopJohnB for the heads up, and wow, those are some serious linkage replacements. These will never break.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
The rods came out of the socket at the rear when I fixed the frozen flaps on my wife's 4.2 in her Touareg. Did not have a problem wiggling them around to get them back in. Dremel was key to "hone" the bushings on the front mounts. More than a year has passed and still turning freely. Did have to get a replacement Gruven rod when the socket bushing broke on one. Replaced for free with the lifetime guarantee.
Johnkk, I read that too in the write up tutorial, so I feel safe if I had to fish it back in it could be done. But the one thing I worry about doing this job I read where one guy broke off a piece inside the intake while attempting this and had to buy a new intake assembly. Ouch! that had to be costly.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default New intake is over $1K from audi. Used, maybe $300.

Johnkk, I read that too in the write up tutorial, so I feel safe if I had to fish it back in it could be done. But the one thing I worry about doing this job I read where one guy broke off a piece inside the intake while attempting this and had to buy a new intake assembly. Ouch! that had to be costly.
I had an extra one sitting around for several years that I bought on eBay…I let it go. Just flog the p/n and see what comes up!

The used one I had was good all around, good motors and links and moveable arms.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Plastic ones save the vacuum motors or arms.

Thanks SloopJohnB for the heads up, and wow, those are some serious linkage replacements. These will never break.
Yes, the Gruven ones won't break, but weakest link and all that.
By the time the rods get so corroded that the vacuum motor diaphragms tear, then you have a $140+ repair/replacement of the vacuum motors rather than just the plastic rods and a ream job for the flapper arms.

My personal opinion is that the vacuum motor diaphragms should be strong enough to hold full vacuum without tearing at full extension but I guess the rubber gets old and weak. Maybe that's what happens to the links as well.

It would be cool to wrap those Gruven bits in carbon fiber….or even fabricate the arms out of carbon fiber with a CDC-controlled fiber laying machine. You could even makerbot the arms out of nylon(?) and/or plastic and have them cast out of titanium.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Check these prices!

This is a great deal on the intake, but the price on the vacuum pod is insane!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Just take your time easing the front bracket off the shaft, as in the diy post. You'd really have to be aggressive to break the flap assembly.

Quick Reply: Intake flap pivot leavers stuck.