A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Intake flap pivot leavers stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I attempted freeing up my stuck intake flaps. I fallowed the tutorial a guy wrote up for his A8 quattroworld.com Forums: 40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )... . The bushing on mine the pot metal was just too corroded and brittle to disassemble in one piece. When I pulled the plastic leaver part of the race was stuck and expanded inside. Then, when I tried prying the piece out of the intake manifold the sealed piece broke flush. To keep the piece being sucked inside I just smeared a dab of JB weld between the break and put everything back the way it was. Im going to have to either find an new intake manifold or see if I can find these pivot bearing pieces somewhere and try again. Either way, im going to have to remove the intake manifold, I dont want to chance it debris getting dropped or sucked inside the manifold and score a cylinder. Here are pics of my crumbling pivot races. The last pic is what it should look like, taken from the tutorial. Anyone have a busted 4.2L V8 ART intake they'd part with? I really would like to get this system up and running. Mine seems to be stuck in mid position, IM guessing thats not a bad place to be stuck for everyday driving, considering thats the mid speed intake mode.

Last edited by A6Quattro2000; 08-22-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get a new manifold

Originally Posted by A6Quattro2000
Well, I attempted freeing up my stuck intake flaps. I fallowed the tutorial a guy wrote up for his A8 quattroworld.com Forums: 40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )... . The bushing on mine the pot metal was just too corroded and brittle to disassemble in one piece. When I pulled the plastic leaver part of the race was stuck and expanded inside. Then, when I tried prying the piece out of the intake manifold the sealed piece broke flush. To keep the piece being sucked inside I just smeared a dab of JB weld between the break and put everything back the way it was. Im going to have to either find an new intake manifold or see if I can find these pivot bearing pieces somewhere and try again. Either way, im going to have to remove the intake manifold, I dont want to chance it debris getting dropped or sucked inside the manifold and score a cylinder. Here are pics of my crumbling pivot races. The last pic is what it should look like, taken from the tutorial. Anyone have a busted 4.2L V8 ART intake they'd part with? I really would like to get this system up and running. Mine seems to be stuck in mid position, IM guessing thats not a bad place to be stuck for everyday driving, considering thats the mid speed intake mode.

If you cannot get a good used one. Get the p/n off yours and google it. And for goodness' sake find some anticorrosive or whatever to clean your engine…it looks like it's been driven in salt country or submerged in salt water!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

What are symptoms of stuck actuators?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bilbo6209
What are symptoms of stuck actuators?
Depending the position the flaps are stuck you may noticeably lose some horsepower at acceleration. They explain it in more detail with diagram pics on the tutorial. quattroworld.com Forums: 40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )...
Old 08-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default all in good time...

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If you cannot get a good used one. Get the p/n off yours and google it. And for goodness' sake find some anticorrosive or whatever to clean your engine…it looks like it's been driven in salt country or submerged in salt water!
Nope, no salt here in Florida, at least in Central FL. I bought this car back in May as a project car, it was really neglected. It had a florida title, I suppose it could have been a northern car at one point, but I didn't see any rust. I'll get around to cleaning and detailing it as soon as I can. But your right, it's filthy.

Ive tried Google and haven't had any luck finding these parts online. I may just have to buy a used intake in good working order. They run about $125 on eBay. Not bad really...

Old 08-28-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

cant you just get that piece from a wreckers ?

in our local wreckers there are about 5 4.2s just sitting there , hard to believe you cant find this piece without looking at a whole new manifold.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
cant you just get that piece from a wreckers ?

in our local wreckers there are about 5 4.2s just sitting there , hard to believe you cant find this piece without looking at a whole new manifold.
From what I gather sticking tuning intake manifold valves are common. Its not a question of if they'll start sticking, it's when. And you'd think it would be an aftermarket repair kit as common as a problem as this is. Audi says sticking tuning flaps is not repairable, the entire intake needs replacing. As you can see from the tutorial I posted earlier, it's easily possible to repair, given your pivot races/bearings aren't as deteriorated and corroded as mine were. Im still looking for these pieces. If I ever do find a 4.2L in salvage and the pivot leavers are somewhat decent, I'll probably still purchase the entire intake and replace it all, It looks simple enough to replace it all at once with new gaskets and injector o-rings
Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Spare parts

How many do you need? I just repaired mine. And have a spare, as I had gotten a used engine delivered.

Originally Posted by A6Quattro2000

Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Repaired actuators

OMG. The baby performs like never before.:-)... xxxA6
Old 08-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hey Great!!! =D

Originally Posted by Kitrods
OMG. The baby performs like never before.:-)... xxxA6
Congrats Kitrods! I hope to have mine back in order soon. I've just discovered I need other repairs like the timing belt serviced. The timing belt just stated making a rubbing noise, but it's only doing it on cold start ups. I would like getting these intake tuning flaps back working as well tho. I'll take the one. I didn't remove the other one I have but I'm assuming it's probably just as bad as the other. Having the one is still better than none. PM me.

Quick Reply: Intake flap pivot leavers stuck.