A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Interchange Info. For V6s

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interchange Info. For V6s

Hey All;

I am new here, and although I owned an '88 90Q some years ago, and have done service on customer cars in the past, I am new to Audi TWEAKING. Arguably the hardest part of Audi enthusiasm is finding info, as there is VERY LITTLE of it out there, other than just basic troubleshooting and repair. In order to try and gain the info I'm seeking, and possibly help other nutcases like me in the future, I'm starting this thread. I'll throw the first bomb.

I have an '02 AVK 3.0. I am trying to find out what I need to install a clutch for driving a standard trans from this engine.

I think I have discovered that the Audi standard transmissions have a bellhousing that is integral to that case. In light of that, I will be making my own bellhousing. Yes?

Clutch - I am aware that 2.7s were equipped with standards in R/S and Allroad cars. I am also aware that 2.8 cars could be had with a standard trans. I have not been able to confirm that any 3.0 cars had them, but I suspect a few did.

It is my understanding that the 3.0 is an upgraded version of the 2.8. I am quite unsure as to how similar the 2.7 is to these two?

The real question; Is the flywheel bolt pattern of any or all of these engines the same? There are all kinds of clutch/flywheel parts available for the 2.7. Can I use these to get a standard trans on my 3.0??
Old 08-05-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I have had several 3.0 manual transmission cars in. Just get a clutch and flywheel set for a 3.0 manual trans A4. The engine is the same auto vs manual on 3.0, on 1.8T the crank is different for Autos and wont accept a piolot bearing.

2.8 and 2.7T are the same engine. 3.0, the block is somewhat based off the original V6, and alot of the internal and oil pump deisgn are the same, but 3.0 are all aluminum engine with 4 cam variable timing and much different cylinder head setup. The 2.8 and 2.7T have cast iron block and single variable timing using a chain tensioner driving one cam.

The 3.0 flywheel itself is specific to 3.0 from checking part numbers and interchanges.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-05-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey;

That's great info. I am left wondering still about compatibility. I did a little looking, and did not see the single mass flywheel conversion kits for the 3.0 engines, where I definitely see them for the 1.8 and 2.7. O think I would very much like to avoid a dual mass unit, as this engine will see heavy usage and I don't want to compromise reliability.

I still would like to know if all the Audi engines used the same flywheel bolt pattern. I've seen more than one occasion when a manufacturer changed a part number simply because they put the same part on a different model or even year.

In this application, I am free to do whatever I want, so I would choose the cheapest and most readily available parts that fullilled the need. If a 1.8/2.7/2.8 fit, and I had a wider array of choices because they are far more common, why not?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK;

A little quick checking around shows that a 1.8 flywheel appears to use 8 bolts, where the 3.0 uses 10. This is based on looking at pics on parts websites, which is VERY SUSPECT. Unfortunately, it is about all I have going for me, short of having all the various parts in hand to check myself.

If I was made of money I'd just order one of everything to see, and who cares? But....
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well;

This thread and the results of my efforts are plenty of proof that the Audi community is not big on high performance, modification, or aftermarket upgrading. Frankly, I am a bit surprised, as I expected more Motorsport type enthusiasm. It is apparent that this only comes from the factory, and only for their own use. If it is not a VW based four cylinder with a turbo, there IS no aftermarket because there IS no call for it.

I can find NO ONE who can tell me much of ANYTHING about these cars. Ive found no expertise at all. Coming from the Porsche world, that is kind of a culture shock. I've found no information about which parts fit which cars, or what the differences are.

Just passenger cars. I wasn't prepared for that.

I do not see a single mass flywheel for a 3.0 anywhere, so it appears as though I am going to have to buy a 2.7 kit and hope I can make it fit, if it indeed does not.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlineman
Well;

This thread and the results of my efforts are plenty of proof that the Audi community is not big on high performance, modification, or aftermarket upgrading. Frankly, I am a bit surprised, as I expected more Motorsport type enthusiasm. It is apparent that this only comes from the factory, and only for their own use. If it is not a VW based four cylinder with a turbo, there IS no aftermarket because there IS no call for it.

I can find NO ONE who can tell me much of ANYTHING about these cars. Ive found no expertise at all. Coming from the Porsche world, that is kind of a culture shock. I've found no information about which parts fit which cars, or what the differences are.

Just passenger cars. I wasn't prepared for that.

I do not see a single mass flywheel for a 3.0 anywhere, so it appears as though I am going to have to buy a 2.7 kit and hope I can make it fit, if it indeed does not.
Sorry you see it this way, most of the members here are just trying to keep the 11yr old plus cars rolling.....I never bought my 2004 A6 Q 3.0 in 2007 out of a CPO with any intentions to mod.....those days are way far behind me.

Prospeeder has given the best advice, plenty of A4's had the 3.0 manual trans setup....zip zero on the A6 3.0
Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey;

Don't feel sorry, and it's not a question of me "seeing" it anyway. It's the reality, and I was not prepared for it. His advice is fine, for as far as it goes. Problem is that I want to go farther. This engine is going into a track car, and I WILL NOT subject a DMFW to that because I do not think it will hold up.

It appears that by the 3.0 era, the idea of sport was pretty much dead. Sort of like the Porsche GT3/RS with no stick shift. Too bad, but I guess it is just not Audi's market.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlineman
Hey;

Don't feel sorry, and it's not a question of me "seeing" it anyway. It's the reality, and I was not prepared for it. His advice is fine, for as far as it goes. Problem is that I want to go farther. This engine is going into a track car, and I WILL NOT subject a DMFW to that because I do not think it will hold up.

It appears that by the 3.0 era, the idea of sport was pretty much dead. Sort of like the Porsche GT3/RS with no stick shift. Too bad, but I guess it is just not Audi's market.
I don't feel anything, trust me...... and it's sure looks like the reality of this forum was described as mentioned. You made your statements.

These cars are luxury "mild" sports cars at the base level, S and RS6 different story.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much to mod on a N/A V6 in rather heavy AWD cars. PLENTY of modders out there doing 1.8T and 2.7T stuff. Just search. You wont be getting anywhere on performance or mods on a 3.0, most people despise them lol.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey;

I appreciate your input. I realize these are not hot rods. Even the turbo cars, as easy as it is to crank up their performance, make very marginal sports cars. I guess coming from a long Porsche background, my expectations were a little skewed.

NO ONE knows much of anything about these cars unless it is contained in a catalogue. That's just data, not real info. If people responded at all, it was quickly apparent they were just catalogue/box jockeys.

I have been picking up info., mostly on my own, digging around the internet. One exception to that has been EuroSpec Sport. They are the first people I have talked to that have hands on technical knowledge of these cars, and were willing to share it. Things like, yes, as I had expected/hoped, the 2.7 & 3.0 have the same flywheel bolt pattern. They offeted me numerous very attractive custom high performsnce clutch kits to continue my project.

Hooray for EuroSpec!
The following users liked this post:
MikeLB (03-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Interchange Info. For V6s