A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Interior light stay on and door locks stop working???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior light stay on and door locks stop working???

The other day when my family got in the car and closed all the doors the interior lights stayed on. (Dash indicator shows all doors closed)I used the dome switch to turn them off. Then I noticed the power door lock button didn't work either.

Sometimes we would get in and the light would work as normal. But if you used the door locks then the interior lights would suddenly turn on and the door locks wouldn't work.

I cleared codes with VCDS lite and it works like normal again, until you use the locks. There was 10 codes. I think the only one that is coming back is the 01366. I'll scan again tonight.

I have checked all the door jam boots for a frayed wire, they all look good from what I can see.

From my searching I am thinking door latch assembly. Its alot of work and kind of pricey. Any way to confirm that it is indeed the latch assembly and which one it is? Would the full VAGCOM pinpoint my issue? I have been thinking it was the drivers door but since the problem returns when I use the door lock button and that locks every door it could be any of them.
Thanks in advance for anyone who reads and replys, this place is great.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Probably the driver door latch/microswitch assembly has gone intermittent... a prelude to being permanently bad. I got a replacement for one of my door latches from an online supplier (Hans) for $33 that has worked perfectly for two years now. Google Part NUmber 4B1837015H.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's defiantly the way I was leaning. Really wanted to confirm it because the price I have seen on the part is $300+. But if there's no way to know for sure which door it is and at less than $50 I might just replace it and see how it goes.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

By "door lock button", do you mean the "lock" button on the key FOB, or the little puller in the top corner of the driver door, besides the alarm indicator LED?

Please re-confirm the returning code.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I mean the botton on the door that locks all of the doors in the car. I suppose I should clear it and see if it trips when I try each of the "pullers". If it only does it on a certain door then could narrow my problem location.

I'll try that when I get home and scan again to confirm the codes(s).
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Alright I cleared it and hit the locks again casuing it to trip then read the codes.
01366 and 01562

Does that help at all?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those codes are in these links:
01366 - Ross-Tech Wiki
01562 - Ross-Tech Wiki

The first one can also be caused by a air bag test, when they go off the doors unlock and the fuel pump shuts off......strange one.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should should clear again, try the same procedure - but this time operate the rear right door button (on the door) and only this. Recheck for codes.

Personally I suspect a short in the door lock or its loom - hopefully doing "the test" as prescribed above, can reveal some leads as to wether it be in the driver door or the rear right one.

Another possibility is water ingress into the floor, causing havoc with the electronics. I recently had the floor carpet out of my Euro '99 A6, and found what looked very much like crash sensors, placed on the rear side of the "cross beam" - right behind the black plastic housing for the central locking control module. Similar module on the same cross-beam, behind the other front seat. Given how near they are each other, logic would suggest they bundle up in the same harness somewhere along the way towards the front.

If you want to check for moisture/water under there, you'll need to pull the driver seat out and remove carpet sill trim (and maybe lift up the rear seat bench) to gain decent acess to lift the carpet. Disconnect battery (due to aribag connctors for seats), take care when disconnecting the wiring. Beyond that, its just a matter of pulling the seat all the way forwards, remove plastic covers at front and rear, 2x T45 torx bolts at the front - then roll it back and out of the guides. Sill trim is removed from front to back (the parts overlap)., they're fastened with wedge-shaped spring steel clips.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 01366 code 2004 A6 C5 2.7T

Did you ever fix that 01366 code?

I have that code and I cannot figure out how to clear it, When I clear it it comes back after I use the power door locks. It is a very strange issue, when I press the lock button in the interior it locks for a "split second" than it unlocks all the doors.

2004 Audi A6 2.7T C5

Originally Posted by Cliffsay
The other day when my family got in the car and closed all the doors the interior lights stayed on. (Dash indicator shows all doors closed)I used the dome switch to turn them off. Then I noticed the power door lock button didn't work either.

Sometimes we would get in and the light would work as normal. But if you used the door locks then the interior lights would suddenly turn on and the door locks wouldn't work.

I cleared codes with VCDS lite and it works like normal again, until you use the locks. There was 10 codes. I think the only one that is coming back is the 01366. I'll scan again tonight.

I have checked all the door jam boots for a frayed wire, they all look good from what I can see.

From my searching I am thinking door latch assembly. Its alot of work and kind of pricey. Any way to confirm that it is indeed the latch assembly and which one it is? Would the full VAGCOM pinpoint my issue? I have been thinking it was the drivers door but since the problem returns when I use the door lock button and that locks every door it could be any of them.
Thanks in advance for anyone who reads and replys, this place is great.