A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Issue with 2002 A6 2.7t - Stalling at start today, almost didn't get home

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
That's totally what I'm wondering. I honestly have no idea WHEN that was last changed... This isn't going to be fun changing with 3/4 of a tank, is it? Also, thinking about replacing the fuel pump too... Anyone know of the quality of the one ECS sells (not the Audi OEM and not the high performance aftermark ones)?

Come to think of it, my MPG the last two tanks has been rather bad (14 to 15 when it used to be 18+ city), honestly can't recall if I've been sitting in the car for awhile with it running and listening to the radio after grabbing something to eat though or what not...
While fuel filters are known to go bad, I am suspecting it may not be the issue (on the otherhand, @170k, OE, it could be..). Changing fuel filter with a full tank is not an issue. When fuel pump is off, only what's left in line drains out - not the whole tank. Bad Fuel pump is also a strong possibility.

You mentioned that a hose or something you checked; could it be possible that's when your trouble started? Also, just check coolant temp sensor -not saying it is the culprit but I had starting/issues with that on my previous 2.7t.

Also general check like blockage, loose vacuum lines, MAF sensor connectors, spark plugs etc. may help.

Really need to scan for codes -VAG-COM preferred. CEL may not be lit but shooting in dark here.

Last edited by tester123; 01-20-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
Sadly don't have VAGCOM yet and don't know anyone other then dealer that does.
Triple digits in posts and still don't have a VAGCOM? Not even the $10 cheap chinese cable from ebay (with the VCDS Lite SW? Time to man up and spend the money to figure out what is going on on your own.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Agreed. If you don't want to do the dealer (or vice versa) buy VCDS.

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Triple digits in posts and still don't have a VAGCOM? Not even the $10 cheap chinese cable from ebay (with the VCDS Lite SW? Time to man up and spend the money to figure out what is going on on your own.
Yes.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed sensor?

Check your speed sensor that mounts near where the left axle attaches to the trans. If its similar to the 2.8, when mine failed, I had the same symptoms. Its a pretty affordable repair as well. Also, if the seal fails on the component, they can give off intermittent signals.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
Check your speed sensor that mounts near where the left axle attaches to the trans. If its similar to the 2.8, when mine failed, I had the same symptoms. Its a pretty affordable repair as well. Also, if the seal fails on the component, they can give off intermittent signals.
That is also possible blink, these dang CPS sensors only throw two codes at certain points and sometimes not at all, once the sensor is warm it seems to fail the most and I have noticed the EPC light on some light up with a no-start and no CEL only a pending CPS code of open or implausible signal.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would test the fuel pump. Pull the back seat, unscrew the cover, and then pull the plug supplying voltage to the pump. Have someone turn the car to ON and see if the voltage goes to 12-14V (it should approximate the battery). If the voltage does not jump, you have an issue with the fuse or wiring. IF voltage is good, plug in the pump and see if it spins up when the person turns the car to ON again. Careful - 3/4 of a tank will cause some spillage but you should be OK ....wear some gloves.

You could also pull the fuel rail and see if it's spraying while you crank the car...but this definitely will cause spillage

A vacuum leak is possible, but I am thinking this is the pump. I had one go bad in my car, it would stall or not start. It never left me stranded anywhere. I pulled the pump out and it wound up spraying fuel all over and I thought "Whoa, it's good", put it back - still had the problems. After a while I tested the pump again and it was dead. The spray I got was just a fluke and it wasn't nearly the flow that it should have been.

I would think that, if it was a vacuum leak, the throttle would inject more gas (and more air) but the ration would improve, since the leak will be the same size - and it would run better, not stall faster.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
I would test the fuel pump. Pull the back seat, unscrew the cover, and then pull the plug supplying voltage to the pump. Have someone turn the car to ON and see if the voltage goes to 12-14V (it should approximate the battery). If the voltage does not jump, you have an issue with the fuse or wiring. IF voltage is good, plug in the pump and see if it spins up when the person turns the car to ON again. Careful - 3/4 of a tank will cause some spillage but you should be OK ....wear some gloves.

You could also pull the fuel rail and see if it's spraying while you crank the car...but this definitely will cause spillage

A vacuum leak is possible, but I am thinking this is the pump. I had one go bad in my car, it would stall or not start. It never left me stranded anywhere. I pulled the pump out and it wound up spraying fuel all over and I thought "Whoa, it's good", put it back - still had the problems. After a while I tested the pump again and it was dead. The spray I got was just a fluke and it wasn't nearly the flow that it should have been.

I would think that, if it was a vacuum leak, the throttle would inject more gas (and more air) but the ration would improve, since the leak will be the same size - and it would run better, not stall faster.
I had intermittent pump outages before mine failed. Scanned it and nada. Actually failed on the way to the dealer to pick up a new pump. Not ambitious enough to put in one of those Walbro inserts. Did it once on a Saab, and once is enough. Had trouble getting the gas odor off on my hands. Like an idiot, I didn't put on gloves until it was too late.

Anyway, got flat-bedded to the dealer, and had them put it in. Back to current problem. Have we ruled out CTS?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
I had intermittent pump outages before mine failed. Scanned it and nada. Actually failed on the way to the dealer to pick up a new pump. Not ambitious enough to put in one of those Walbro inserts. Did it once on a Saab, and once is enough. Had trouble getting the gas odor off on my hands. Like an idiot, I didn't put on gloves until it was too late.

Anyway, got flat-bedded to the dealer, and had them put it in. Back to current problem. Have we ruled out CTS?
CTS? Coolant temp sensor? If so, the parts at sitting at my door waiting for me to get off work... Ordered new fuel pump, filter, and relay (might as well replace the fuel pump, it's probably old), new wipers (lolz) and new coolant temp sensors and clip hardware... Actually a couple spares for the clips... If I recall this sensor is the one that's in the pain in the *** zone rear pass side of engine, right? Coming prepared to drop crap :P
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I sure hope your not confusing a CPS to CTS, did anyone mention a Coolant Temp Sensor?

Maybe I missed that.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Man I sure hope your not confusing a CPS to CTS, did anyone mention a Coolant Temp Sensor?

Maybe I missed that.
CPS? Coolant temp sensor is the one coming off the engine block near the rear and pass side, correct? Superseded to green version or something?

Quick Reply: Issue with 2002 A6 2.7t - Stalling at start today, almost didn't get home