Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 287887
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Default jerky gearchange

I have a 99 audi 2.4 v6 tip tronic that jerks badly when gears change in auto or tiptronic. Also revs increase by 1000 rpm at change. It also hangs onto the gears too long. I've been told the gearbox oil never needs changing so i never did.
The car has been standing for 3 months without a battery but started up ok. Before storage, idling was down to 400 rpm and she jerked slightly only 1st to 2nd. Now kicks in violently and revs up at every change.
Any ideas guys...???
Thanx.
Willie.
PS..In tip tronic it smooths out slightly if i take my foot off the accelerator.
Willie Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 3,332
Default

That's a mistake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Morris View Post

I've been told the gearbox oil never needs changing so i never did.
Willie, welcome aboard! Do you know how many miles she's done?

I think you need to verify the trans fluid fill level.
uberwgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Morris View Post
I have a 99 audi 2.4 v6 tip tronic that jerks badly when gears change in auto or tiptronic. Also revs increase by 1000 rpm at change. It also hangs onto the gears too long. I've been told the gearbox oil never needs changing so i never did.
The car has been standing for 3 months without a battery but started up ok. Before storage, idling was down to 400 rpm and she jerked slightly only 1st to 2nd. Now kicks in violently and revs up at every change.
Any ideas guys...???
Thanx.
Willie.
PS..In tip tronic it smooths out slightly if i take my foot off the accelerator.
Don't believe what audi tells you on a ZF transaxle.
Drop the transaxle oil pan and filter and examine them….if the pan is really filthy and crunchy bits in it, consider dropping the valve body and splitting it to clean the speed sensor controller screen as well as the shift solenoid(s) screens(s).
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 287887
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the quick reply guys. really appreciated. She has 167,000 km on the clock and as far as i know, i don't think this oil has been changed or checked during my period of ownership ( 6 years ). Also i believe changing oil on this model is quite technical, specifically the refilling. Will i be able to do this myself, what tools do i need and most importantly what type of oil.
Thanks again,
Willie.
Willie Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Morris View Post
Thanks for the quick reply guys. really appreciated. She has 167,000 km on the clock and as far as i know, i don't think this oil has been changed or checked during my period of ownership ( 6 years ). Also i believe changing oil on this model is quite technical, specifically the refilling. Will i be able to do this myself, what tools do i need and most importantly what type of oil.
Thanks again,
Willie.
Most people that can change oil can change ATF….google a video on youtube or just google how to change ZF transmission fluid.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 73256
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7
Default

Sounds similar to my symptoms, which were all fixed by a tranny fluid and filter change. Mine's a 2001 4.2 with 135K miles. On a hill at low speeds a strong shudder and vibration would be felt with gear changes. Increased throttle would decrease the shudder. It did this for over a year. At highway speeds the tach would fluctuate, which I had thought to be a separate issue.

I thought the car was basically totaled, but after digging through forums I decided to get the fluid /filter change. Many posters seemed to recommend a change at 85K miles. The change cured ALL of the symptoms and it has run smoothly since.

Just my experience. Good luck!
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 52472
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,883
Default

Just to echo what other have said, if you look up this transmission at its manufacturer's site (ZF) you find that the filter and fluid should be serviced every ~50k km.

Do not flush

use OEM (or be sure compatible) fluid.

G
__________________
glenahan@vee-eff-email*dot*net
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 284071
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 286
Default

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6-s6-c5...ebate-2869001/

Seems Audi (and others) stretched what ZF was saying about the ATF in the late 90's and early 00's.
N_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community