A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Keys won't program in

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys won't program in

On a 2001 A6 2.7 I Installed a new driver door actuator and ignition with new keys . Had an Audi dealer try to program keys into the system .After replacing both the gauge cluster and reader coil the keys still won't program in. Any ideas out there?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depending on origin of the car, different generations of immobilizer can be installed. 2001 is most likely Immobilizer II (2) If North America. Dealership should have the knowledge to program keys.

First off, any error codes? Make sure there are no issues related to the immobilizer pickup coil. If you've been struggling with this, there most likely are - and knowing what codes that is, will point you in the right direction.

Has the "new" cluster been adapted to the ECM? If I've understood correctly, if this is not done - the ECM and cluster does not agree on the immobilizer identification number.

When adapting, one takes on the immo-ident stored in the other (I believe the cluster takes the immo-ident of the ECM, as you adapt with the pin from the previous cluster).

Last edited by pr0xZen; 05-25-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dealer put new cluster and coil in said they programmed them all in but still couldn't get keys to stay programmed in. I picked the car up after owner dumped dealer was stumped . Definitely is a immobilizer problem car starts then dies with flashing key in dash
Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kguen
Dealer put new cluster and coil in said they programmed them all in but still couldn't get keys to stay programmed in. I picked the car up after owner dumped dealer was stumped . Definitely is a immobilizer problem car starts then dies with flashing key in dash
So the cluster has been adapted to the ECM.. (?)

Are you 100% certain that the keys are new blanks, or previously matched to the new cluster that is currently in the car? It sounds a little bit like the immobilizer RFID chips might have been damaged or possibly previously programmed. These can't be overwritten.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, Measuring block 22 on [17] Cluster, field 3. The value in this field must be 1. If its not 1, the key currently in the ignition cannot be adapted to the immobilizer. This usually indicates that ether; The cluster has not been adapted to the car yet, the pickup coil is malfuctioning, the immobilizer RFID chip in the key is damaged, or the chip has been previously programmed to a different car.

Last edited by pr0xZen; 05-25-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Think a immobilizer emulator would work?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Think a immobilizer emulator would work?
No idea. If the programmed keys won't work, it should store fault codes. What those codes are, are most likely going to point towards the issue and eventually the remedy.

Last edited by pr0xZen; 05-25-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry forgot to mention dealer also installed new keys and locks with new Rfid chips I guess I need to hook up Vag -com to download codes. I was told by the dealer as I was towing car away that they had all codes cleared but they still couldn't get the immobilizer to turn off
Old 05-25-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry forgot to mention dealer also installed new keys and locks with new Rfid chips I guess I need to hook up Vag -com to download codes. I was told by the dealer as I was towing car away that they had all codes cleared but they still couldn't get the immobilizer to turn off
HOPEFULLY there are (returned) codes. This can be a tedious task if not - if the cluster needs (re)-adapting, its going to be difficult without the SKC pin from the old cluster.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
HOPEFULLY there are (returned) codes. This can be a tedious task if not - if the cluster needs (re)-adapting, its going to be difficult without the SKC pin from the old cluster.
Fortunately still have old cluster was left in the car