A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Ko4 turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ko4 turbos

I'm starting this thread in attempt to gain clarification to what sub-model Audi's had stock Ko4 turbos..
I recently purchased a 2000 A6 quattro with a bad engine, but came with an extra/fresh 2.7t with matching turbos and considering the low mileage on my new motor, I'm swapping out the heads for 2.8 heads but keeping my 2.7 cams, modifying the stock 2.7 intake for better breath and want to upgrade to Ko4 turbos & turbo pipes, headers, throttle body and down the road I plan to chip the computer and add custom exhaust. BUT! I don't want heavy mods, I'm trying to keep everything else stock-Ish.. (no vacuum, six water pump, gr deletes tho). How do I know what Audi's have the Ko4 turbos?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Chadsluck
I'm starting this thread in attempt to gain clarification to what sub-model Audi's had stock Ko4 turbos..
I recently purchased a 2000 A6 quattro with a bad engine, but came with an extra/fresh 2.7t with matching turbos and considering the low mileage on my new motor, I'm swapping out the heads for 2.8 heads but keeping my 2.7 cams, modifying the stock 2.7 intake for better breath and want to upgrade to Ko4 turbos & turbo pipes, headers, throttle body and down the road I plan to chip the computer and add custom exhaust. BUT! I don't want heavy mods, I'm trying to keep everything else stock-Ish.. (no vacuum, six water pump, gr deletes tho). How do I know what Audi's have the Ko4 turbos?
Also: I am new to Audi's/the German auto industry, been a mechanic for 20+ years.. To my knowledge, the ko3's came factory in rs4, allroad, ?VW also?? ..Will a a 2.8 throttle body bolt onto my 2.7 intake? Any input/advise is greatly appreciated.😁
Old 07-30-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default To my knowledge none of them came with K04 turbos.

A google search would confirm that. Some people say the B5 RS4 came with K04s but that wouldn't help you much...probably very spendy to find a used B5 RS4 turbo(s) or new/refurbished rather than just get the K04 upgrade kit.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-30-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to visit my local pick n pull.. Since this post I discovered that these turbos are tagged with their specific model numbers right on them! (No decoding needed) lol.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default junked cars turbos not a good deal in general.

Much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to visit my local pick n pull.. Since this post I discovered that these turbos are tagged with their specific model numbers right on them! (No decoding needed) lol.
One exception would be if you plan to have them overhauled before you install them. The issue is the labor and aggro involved in installing them, then having to remove and overhaul or replace them when they fail on you.

And used turbos WILL fail...it's just a matter of time and you don't know when, usually sooner than later.

I'm'a just sayin'.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the motor and trans out and rather then putting the "ticking time bomb"-K03's in with a fresh, 60K mile motor, I decided to do the upgrade, rebuild kits are approx. $70 per turbo and having them balanced is roughly another $65 each.. (why does this s*** always gotta be so expensive?!??!!? Lol. Do you think that I should keep my 2.7 cams in a 2.8 set of heads?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you think that I should keep my 2.7 cams in a 2.8 set of heads?
No. 2.8 cams are an upgrade for the 2.7t.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by the_duke
No. 2.8 cams are an upgrade for the 2.7t.
Yes, tho, only the intake can is different and not a turbo-fit cam.. This explaining top end power losses, right?