A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Leaking Interior Auto Dimming Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Interior Auto Dimming Mirror

I have a 2000 A6 , and just noticed that my interior auto dimming mirror has lost ~ 50 % of the fluid showing across the mirror. The oil has leaked a bit and collects at the center bottom of the mirror. It remains wet and I'm sure that more will leak out shortly..

I will have to remove the mirror and try to replace it. Maybe I can find a good used one at a scrap yard...? Are there any tricks in removing this wired mirror. There are sensors on the front and back of this mirror.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated. This A6 has had no issues since new. This is it's first repair other than regular oil and filter changes,..so I've been very lucky with this A6..

Thanks....

D
Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Google youtube

Originally Posted by audib200
I have a 2000 A6 , and just noticed that my interior auto dimming mirror has lost ~ 50 % of the fluid showing across the mirror. The oil has leaked a bit and collects at the center bottom of the mirror. It remains wet and I'm sure that more will leak out shortly..

I will have to remove the mirror and try to replace it. Maybe I can find a good used one at a scrap yard...? Are there any tricks in removing this wired mirror. There are sensors on the front and back of this mirror.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated. This A6 has had no issues since new. This is it's first repair other than regular oil and filter changes,..so I've been very lucky with this A6..

Thanks....

D
I changed out the mirror on s 2000 A6 with a mirror that had a compass in it. Figure $125 or so for a used one.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've now changed the mirror and also added the newer version with the compass.
It was "as new"..

I got lucky as it was only $50 + shipping....Let's hope it never starts leaking like the old one did..(fingers crossed)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I used these guys because mine was leaking. They did a fantastic job and quick for a fraction of the cost of new.

Mirror Repair
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The replacement trick that has been so far neglected is the mirror twists off after the trim is removed with a screw driver/trim tool. there will be a cross shaped piece glued to the mirror. removing them is nerve racking because it always feels like it is going to break. be careful. you tube it for a good visual of the process.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to O'reilly's and bought a mirror with the manual daytime/nighttime lever. Less that $20. Existing windshield was pitted and had a few cracks, so I had a new windshield installed (at home). Tech twisted off the old (CCW 1/4 turn, I think), leaky one and used a torch to heat up the mount that was glued to the new windshield (replacement windshield came with the mount already attached). I let him do it, since if it shattered, he was on the hook for a new one. It didn't take much and it came right off. Attached new mirror with supplied glue and all is well. Just stuffed the wires into the plastic cover.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the added feedback on the mirror.

I did the repair myself and the only unknown was how much effort would be necessary to counter clockwise twist it free from the windshield mount . It took a bit of effort to start the turn and I added touch of soap to the mount jaws when I reinstalled the newer replacement to help it easily turn back into the windshield mount.

It went back fine and the 6 prong OE plug snapped in perfectly,.. and the OE mounting cover hid the wires like it did originally.

I now have an OE mirror with the added compass as a bonus..I'm very happy..

D