A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Looking at A6 need advice

Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at A6 need advice

Hey I am considering my 1st Audi A6 that is modded. I wanted something solid and fast with room for improvement later. What do you think of it?

Its a 2.7 BiTurbo A6 with 6 speed manual w/148k Miles and ALL scheduled maintenance had been done so far, including Timing Belt and waterpump at 128k.

Upgrades:
Stage -3 K04, RS4 inlets, 3inch Downpipes No pre-cats or cats, Auxiliary Thermal Switch (198F)
New Auxiliary After-run Pump,R34 TBB, New Battery, MBC, K&N Filter,
Blauparts full suspension Kit (F+B) , with Shocks and Eibach Lowering Kit
R1 Diverter Valves,HID low beam, High Beam and Fog lights, Custom
Headlights, LED All Tail lights, M3 Spoiler lip, New Brakes with
front Slotted Rotors, Tinted windows, built In Police scanner with Radar detectors.

Cons: CEL comes on for P1117. which is O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2
Soft (stock) Clutch
Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rowekmr
Hey I am considering my 1st Audi A6 that is modded. I wanted something solid and fast with room for improvement later. What do you think of it?

Its a 2.7 BiTurbo A6 with 6 speed manual w/148k Miles and ALL scheduled maintenance had been done so far, including Timing Belt and waterpump at 128k.

Upgrades:
Stage -3 K04, RS4 inlets, 3inch Downpipes No pre-cats or cats, Auxiliary Thermal Switch (198F)
New Auxiliary After-run Pump,R34 TBB, New Battery, MBC, K&N Filter,
Blauparts full suspension Kit (F+B) , with Shocks and Eibach Lowering Kit
R1 Diverter Valves,HID low beam, High Beam and Fog lights, Custom
Headlights, LED All Tail lights, M3 Spoiler lip, New Brakes with
front Slotted Rotors, Tinted windows, built In Police scanner with Radar detectors.

Cons: CEL comes on for P1117. which is O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2
Soft (stock) Clutch
Everything sounds good, but you left the most important aspect out.... The price!? What is the vehicle selling for and we'll be able to provide the relative value
Old 11-16-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Everything sounds good, but you left the most important aspect out.... The price!? What is the vehicle selling for and we'll be able to provide the relative value
Not to mention the model year. 148K is a lot of miles but if the price is right///
Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry it's a 2000 model and he's asking 6k.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Not unreasonable, but with those mods, expect that it has been run hard. Offer him 4K and see what he comes back with.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

IMHO, that's pretty reasonable, considering its a 6 speed and has extensive mods, which appear to be worth more than the vehicle!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would say it is worth the buy. I personally would check it over when I got it home to see if it needs any TLC. Then drive it and enjoy it.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Not unreasonable, but with those mods, expect that it has been run hard. Offer him 4K and see what he comes back with.
$4K is reasonable to end up with. But you'll have to offer $3K or be prepared to walk if you offer $4K and he drops to $5.5 or so.
Negotiation 101.

Not to mention he probably monitors this and other audi/vw boards….
Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I am really new to these platforms and was hoping I could get something that could deal with the adverse snow conditions in the winter yet in the summer time take it out and cruise with it.
I got buddies with cars that run 11 to 13 second quarter mile and want to eventually be able to run with them when they go to the track for fun. I wanted to update the clutch with one more suited for the power and possible later install higher capacity injectors, Hitachi MAF and 5 Bar FPR plus a hotter tune. I like the idea of a multi tune like APR to keep the car versatile.
He said that he had it detuned but I want to get as much power I can without hurting the durability of the engine and cutting into the mpgs since it would be a DD. If I can get 26-28 mpg on highway and 20+ city I would be happy.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably more like 18-19 city, 24-26 highway, but possibly less because you'll want to bury the throttle all the time .

The K&N filter and missing cats make me assume an owner who wanted either power at the cost of engine wear or didn't really research their build beyond what model turbo to buy. Either way, I would offer less on those two points alone.

C5 already comes with HID headlights. HID fogs would be a nice upgrade.

How badly are the cam chain tensioner seals leaking (because they always do)? Were they replaced with the TB/WP service?

It sounds like a good starting point to me, saves you an engine pull, but personally I'd expect some wrench time to restore full closed-loop operation, then invest in drivetrain and chassis stabilization beyond the suspension kit before you track it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at A6 need advice