A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust Manifold A6 Quattro 2004

Old 04-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold A6 Quattro 2004

Hello there AudiWold. Fairly new, proud 2004 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 owner here with not a ton of experience under the hood. Definitely having some exhaust manifold/gasket problems (not sure which one) and would like to try to take on the challenge myself. I haven't been able to find any sort of assistance on the world wide web so I turn here.

Any sort of help to start would be greatly appreciated, suggestions on brands, potential overwhelming issues, play by play of the job or any other advice. I really would like to get my hands dirty and figure out whats going on in there.

Uglybread
Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Depends on what you want to do. Replacing the manifold to down pipe gasket is one thing, replacing the exhaust manifold to engine gasket quite another.
Expand/define your question/problem further.
Try youtube.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Basically I'm getting a really loud sound from the engine on start up and a fluttering type noise while accelerating. I have a friend who is handy with Audis and is willing to help me out but he lives in another state. I would like to be as prepared as I can be before he makes the trip. Would hate for him to make his way out and then hit a wall making his trip pointless. Searched all over the internet and YouTube for any help or how to's but can't seem to find anything.

I believe that it is the manifold to engine gasket. I'm having a tough time seeing it clearly but I've checked all the exhaust I can see and can't find any leaks there. It might even be a crack in the manifold from what I (and other opinions) can tell. I'm just not sure how to go about attacking this.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If it's a manifold to engine gasket worst case is drop the engine, replace the gasket or the manifold, replace engine.
Perhaps you can replace a gasket without dropping te engine, ymmv.
You might look carefully at the flex pipes..they're more likely to have deteriorated and have an exhaust leak.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will certainly check the flex pipes when I get back under the car this weekend. Pretty sure the sound isn't coming from the flex pipe though. The sound is getting louder over the past week too. Sounds as if my exhaust ends right behind my air conditioner, which I guess technically it is if the manifold/gasket is the problem.

Thanks so much for your responses. Certainly appreciate any help I can get with this. If I find anything else out I'll be sure to update here.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So got under the car today and it ends up you were correct! There is definitely a leak in the flex pipes. Now that I've narrowed down the problem, how could one correctly fix the problem? Looked into it a little already. Unfortunately I don't have any welding abilities.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Take it to an independent muffler shop. They generally charge about $300 per side to weld in a new flex pipe. If you have a friend who has MIG welding skills and a lift, the flex section itself can be bought for about $30.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uglybread88
So got under the car today and it ends up you were correct! There is definitely a leak in the flex pipes. Now that I've narrowed down the problem, how could one correctly fix the problem? Looked into it a little already. Unfortunately I don't have any welding abilities.
Too bad it's not within the emissions 8/80 warranty. I got lucky on one of my S6 pipes...the dealer replaced the assembly, flex pipe and cat!
Couple years later when the other one went I replaced it with OEM same way to keep it matched.

But the indie flex pipe weld sounds like a great idea!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know it has been awhile but I just figured I'd update everyone on my solution. Ended up going to a small local shop who was willing to weld in a couple flex pipes for me. He said he had modified his welder in order to more easily get to the top of the pipes, therefore he didn't even need to drop them.

Cost me $300 total and the car is super quiet relative to what I had! Now on to the next couple projects on my check list. First a power steering replacement and then the timing belt over the summer. Wish me luck!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i know its not specifically audi - but it is relevant.

there is a way of 'fixing' the flex pipes on a short / medium term without spending more than £50.
I had a simillar issue with the flex pipe fraying and then leaking on my landrovers (both my 2.5tdi and my 4.2V8 exhausts) due to the constant hard shock loadings of the engine whilst offroading.
I wrapped the whole section of the exhaust with a vermiculite-infused fiberglass header wrap. Instead of using 25% overlap, use 50% overlap. Starting at the closest point you can to the engine, make 2 full wraps and secure with a thermal tie or hose clamp. Then keeping it incredibly tight, keep wrapping 50% overlap down the exhaust and over the flexi pipe. Every 3 or 3 wraps use your hands to pull and tighten the wrap. Once you get well past the flexi pipe, do two more circles and secure it off. I also suggest placing a thermal tie every 4" or so to keep it all incredibly tight.
Exhaust leak gone, flexi pipe still flexes :-)

this is NOT a permanent fix, but it does work and does stop any leaks if you use a good high quality close weave wrap. Certainly never had any problems with the yearly inspection/MOT.