A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

lower control arm ball joint dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower control arm ball joint dimensions

hi all,

quick question about lower control arms for an A6 allroad 2002 2.7t.
I have read soooo much conflicting advice about parts compatibility my head is in a whirl.
Basically i need to replace the bottom rear control arm on my allroad and I am loath to pay rediculous amounts of money on the genuine allroad items. I appreciate they ball joint geometry is slightly different to allow more movement in the suspension for the airbags - but all the other dimensions in length, width and distances from bush centre to ball joint centre look identical. As i;m running standard A6 coils/shocks ball joint total angle movement isnt a problem anymore. From what I;ve read the main issue is the ball joint cone size.

can someone tell me what size cone I should have on my allroad - as there appears to be several different sizes, and several different sized cones in the "parts bin" of simillar A6 lower control arms that will probably match.

I appreciate the front lower control arm HAS to be genuine allroad - because of the anti roll bar mounting point, but if i can get away with a standard A6 rear LCR, it will help my limited funds and marital bliss.

cheers
Nick
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

follow up on this - found a thread on another manufacturers forum talking about using a ball joint taper sleeve to allow the fitting of a suspension arm with a smaller ball joint cone into a larger hole.

does this exist already in audi circles? if not, would be brilliant if i could get the taper/ball joint sizes of the allroad lower rear arm and standard A6 arm. I can then turn one up on my mates lathe so it does bloomin fit!

I'm thinking this may be a business opportunity if one doesnt already exist in that size - must be a tonne of allroad drivers forking out an extra £200+ for allroad specific arms!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

as i've had no luck getting any of the taper sizes for any of the balljoints used - decided I'm going to pull the arms and just bash in some new bushes.
Theres no play or squeaking from the ball joints and the dust covers are perfect, just clonking and play in the bushes. So screw it, bought some aftermarket bushes (Delphi) and will bray them in next week whilst the workmen fit a new boiler in the kitchen.