A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Mirror adjustment switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mirror adjustment switch

How hard is it to replace the little bugger.

Seems the one in my son's car broke (clean off)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, Stupid me. Just had to look for a YouTube video.

Wooo Hoooo Easy peasy
Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just expect it to work a little backwards. left is right & right is left.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why is that?
Old 05-25-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

We're talking about the switch in the center console. There's been some recent postings on it & seems like the common replacement switch (likely chinese), has internal wiring switch-a-roo. I have it in my car, so prior owner must have changed it. Turn the switch to point to left (DS), then the right mirror moves, and vise-versa. Not a big deal, since the mirrors still adjust correctly.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wondering if it is just installed backwards. (Label on top vs. label on bottom)?

I did notice some (the cheapest ones) seem to have green plastic and slightly more expensive (better?) ones are blue like OEM.

I ordered the cheapest blue one.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

This posting talks about it.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ntrol-2898487/
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default HELP! Can not get switch out

I have pushed and prodded and tried a few tools but without any luck.

The YouTube video makes it look easy, but I can not seem to get the mirror switch to pop out of the console.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my mirror switch replacement. Its not a matter of installing it upside down because the directional controls are all correct its just a minor glitch they definitely wired something backward in regards to turning the dial towards the mirror. The memory functions still function properly the only issue arises when manually adjusting the mirror, you have to twist it towards the opposite mirror that you want to adjust (turning left adjusts right mirror, turning right adjusts left mirror) but once you start moving it up down left right, all these directional controls operate as intended. For about $80 less than the factory switch this is a minor issue. BTW, i did the same as you (ordering the cheapest one that had the blue bottom towards the electrical connector).

As far as installing the switch you have to remove the center console to get at it easily, the clips for the mount are metal and are a real PITA if u just try to pry it out with a screwdriver or something of the like. Also avoid messing with the cup holder, the tabs on the support bracket break fairly easily. Other than that it is pretty strait forward removing the center console to install the switch.

All you have to do is pop the air vent strait out (towards the rear seat), then you can access some bolts underneath, also lift up the fuzzy base for the passenger center console storage area, there is one bolt under there. From there just take your time I think there are also a few snapping clips on the trim for the parking brake that you will have to address, once the console is up and out of the way you can pinch the mirror switch out from underneath.

If you want to do it without removing the center console it is possible to break the trim piece that holds the mirror switch in as your new switch will come with one but you might end up with a few minor nicks to the center console area.