A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need to drain gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to drain gas tank

I have a 2000 A6 2.7T Quattro with a defective fuel pump. I have the replacement pump and need to drain the gas tank before starting. Everything I read in the forums assumes the fuel pump works and uses it to pump the gas out. Any suggestions for draining the tank when the fuel pump doesn't work?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM

IIRC it is MUCH less dangerous to do that with a FULL tank of gas - gas itself is not explosive, however, an almost empty tank full of fumes is scary.

I would suggest syphoning it through the gas fill hole with a silicone tube.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be Very Careful - No pilot lights or Trouble lights !!!! > > >

I once had to replace the fuel pump on a Toyota pickup. Siphoned a good portion of the fuel out just to make it a litle more managable but couldn't get it all out. Had to unstrap the tank and balance it on my chest as i lowered it to the floor noticed out of the corner of my eye the gleam of the pilot light of the furnace which was in the garage. Talk about seeing my life flash before my eyes ..... to use bad terminology. Whew! I quickly finished the job but without the pilot light on after a few prayers.

A friend of mine had her whole Honda Civic and their detached garage go up in flames when her father was replacing a fuel pump and the trouble light fell and broke igniting the spilled fuel. Luckily no one was hurt.

Couple of guys from my home town were driving an old pickup on a hot summer day. The old truck tended to get vapor lock and their fix was to reach outside the window and remove the gas cap(the caps use to be right behind the door on the pillar). A stray spark ignited the fumes and killed them both.

I know the last one is a little morbid ... BUT YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL!
The following users liked this post:
KHedges (06-26-2021)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Siphon as much of the gas out of the tank that you can. No fun working with hands in fluid. The vapors in the tank will be at a concentration above the Upper Explosion Limit so are not explosive. So don’t worry, but don’t test it!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree, it is horrible and really dries out your skin and your hands will stink of fuel for several days afterwards. Draw off as much as you can, if possible leave none and aim to pick up any residue from the well in the bottom of the tank under the pump as well.

The obvious thing is to drive it until it is as near empty as possible but obviously, that is about as much use as the 'use the pump itself' method!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 AM

Default Need to drain gas tank

Thanks to all who responded. However, siphoning won't work due to the screen at the bottom of the neck of the filler tube that prevents the siphon tube from getting down into the tank.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Syphon once you have released the cover plate on top.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

over half a tank of gas and it will spill out when you open up the tank .... get the gas out before doing so.. i didn't know that when i did mine and ended up with about 3 gallons on my garage floor.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue. 2004 A6 2.7t with a dead fuel pump and 12 gallons of fuel still in the tank. You CANNOT get a rubber sipon hose all the way into the tank because of a screen at the end of the filler neck...I have tried this. One person suggested removing the fuel filter lines and performing a slow gravity drain. What a PITA. I can do this, but was hoping for a better method.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try removing the sender cover in the trunk to access the tank from the top. You'll need long ciphon hose to access via the tank but it should work. Otherwise just put some cardboard under the car a SLOWLY open the fuel pump cover and let the excess fuel spill to the ground and hope there's enough cardboard the soak most of it up.

Quick Reply: Need to drain gas tank