A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Odd battery failure

Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Odd battery failure

Noticed slightly slower cranking and occasionally the engine would hiccup at very light throttle. Ran a vcds scan and found intermittent knock sensor signal too high and intermittent voltage too low codes. Never seen those before.

Checked the battery terminals and the negative post was slightly crusty, so I dug out my terminal cleaning brush device and cleaned the posts and cables.

When I pulled the cables, I noticed a split/hole in the top of the battery near the negative post. The flat surface was deformed around the hole. Hmmmm. Almost looked melted. I guess that the electrolyte fluid level was getting low and perhaps a cell was starting to go bad or developed an intermittent short.

I replaced the battery and cranking back to normal. Codes have not returned. Bad battery was an Audi replacement about 4 years old.

Anybody ever see a battery develop a hole?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk

im sure this one did !
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Noticed slightly slower cranking and occasionally the engine would hiccup at very light throttle. Ran a vcds scan and found intermittent knock sensor signal too high and intermittent voltage too low codes. Never seen those before.

Checked the battery terminals and the negative post was slightly crusty, so I dug out my terminal cleaning brush device and cleaned the posts and cables.

When I pulled the cables, I noticed a split/hole in the top of the battery near the negative post. The flat surface was deformed around the hole. Hmmmm. Almost looked melted. I guess that the electrolyte fluid level was getting low and perhaps a cell was starting to go bad or developed an intermittent short.

I replaced the battery and cranking back to normal. Codes have not returned. Bad battery was an Audi replacement about 4 years old.

Yes. You're actually quite lucky because such holes often vent H2 and O2…not a good mixture to meet a spark such as might occur with removing a battery terminal to clean the post and terminal!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Yes. You're actually quite lucky because such holes often vent H2 and O2…not a good mixture to meet a spark such as might occur with removing a battery terminal to clean the post and terminal!

Lighting a match to check electrolyte level.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Battery cases these days are usually molded and welded thermoplastics, so yes, they can certainly split on welds, or melt from internal heat from a number of conditions and defects.

These defects can often be caught early when there is a voltmeter in the car, but car makers don't want us to bother our heads with these highly technical matters, like counting to fourteen.

The odds are that you will never have another defective battery in your driving years though. That's good news.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Lighting a match to check electrolyte level.
Priceless