Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 158737
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,021
Default Need some control arm help

I am currently in the middle of replacing the control arms on my car. I have everything off and have a couple of issues.

On the passenger's side, one of the control arms was not coming out - it got half way and stopped. I finally realized the bushing was coming out with it, and this was causing it to jam up, and finally got it out.

On the driver's side, I went to put it all back together and realized the same bushing was missing! I looked at the old control arm and it came off with the control arm.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the metal collars that the lower control arms go into in the knuckles. On both rear lower control arms, the bushing seized to the control arm and came out with the arm. On the passenger side I noticed when it was halfway out and corrected it - on the driver's side it just came out (easily) with the control arm.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement bushing for this or what it is even called? I'd like to replace them both. Are they supposed to just press in?

Thanks.
jseklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
I am currently in the middle of replacing the control arms on my car. I have everything off and have a couple of issues.

On the passenger's side, one of the control arms was not coming out - it got half way and stopped. I finally realized the bushing was coming out with it, and this was causing it to jam up, and finally got it out.

On the driver's side, I went to put it all back together and realized the same bushing was missing! I looked at the old control arm and it came off with the control arm.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the metal collars that the lower control arms go into in the knuckles. On both rear lower control arms, the bushing seized to the control arm and came out with the arm. On the passenger side I noticed when it was halfway out and corrected it - on the driver's side it just came out (easily) with the control arm.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement bushing for this or what it is even called? I'd like to replace them both. Are they supposed to just press in?

Thanks.

These are the parts on the front and rear suspension….which one are you talking about?
If it doesn't show on the pic it's part of a larger assembly…is this the bushing into the aluminum carrier on the front? I think it's pressed into the carrier and not a replacement part…did you lose one? 26 is the rear lower control arm assembly for the front suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 2.49.47 PM.jpg (20.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 2.57.57 PM.jpg (20.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 04-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 158737
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,021
Default

Thanks Sloop- I'm not sure I see them in those diagrams, but you have the right part - the bushing is pressed into the aluminum carrier.

Ironically, one of the control arm tech articles has a parts diagram which shows the bushings as parts #54 and #55

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

The diagram is at the top of the article, but I can't find this diagram anywhere else - of course
jseklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
Thanks Sloop- I'm not sure I see them in those diagrams, but you have the right part - the bushing is pressed into the aluminum carrier.

Ironically, one of the control arm tech articles has a parts diagram which shows the bushings as parts #54 and #55

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

The diagram is at the top of the article, but I can't find this diagram anywhere else - of course
looks like it came from jimellisaudiparts.com

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...rimLevel=19005
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 158737
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,021
Default

Hey, Thanks Sloop!

Unfortunately, their parts list goes to part #52 and I am looking for 54 and 55. Haha. Figures...thanks though, it is still progress...
jseklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
Hey, Thanks Sloop!

Unfortunately, their parts list goes to part #52 and I am looking for 54 and 55. Haha. Figures...thanks though, it is still progress...
That's kind of what I figured…12A contains the steering knuckle and 54 and 55…part of the steering knuckle.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
I am currently in the middle of replacing the control arms on my car. I have everything off and have a couple of issues.

On the passenger's side, one of the control arms was not coming out - it got half way and stopped. I finally realized the bushing was coming out with it, and this was causing it to jam up, and finally got it out.

On the driver's side, I went to put it all back together and realized the same bushing was missing! I looked at the old control arm and it came off with the control arm.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the metal collars that the lower control arms go into in the knuckles. On both rear lower control arms, the bushing seized to the control arm and came out with the arm. On the passenger side I noticed when it was halfway out and corrected it - on the driver's side it just came out (easily) with the control arm.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement bushing for this or what it is even called? I'd like to replace them both. Are they supposed to just press in?

Thanks.
Can you get those collars or bushings off the old control arms? Seems like a bit of heat would help. With tapered bits it also helps to rap them with a hammer…back up the bushing you want to get off the taper with a hammer and hit the bushing on the side away from the hammer. It ought to pop off just like a tie rod end on an old frog eye sprite.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community