A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need some control arm help

Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some control arm help

I am currently in the middle of replacing the control arms on my car. I have everything off and have a couple of issues.

On the passenger's side, one of the control arms was not coming out - it got half way and stopped. I finally realized the bushing was coming out with it, and this was causing it to jam up, and finally got it out.

On the driver's side, I went to put it all back together and realized the same bushing was missing! I looked at the old control arm and it came off with the control arm.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the metal collars that the lower control arms go into in the knuckles. On both rear lower control arms, the bushing seized to the control arm and came out with the arm. On the passenger side I noticed when it was halfway out and corrected it - on the driver's side it just came out (easily) with the control arm.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement bushing for this or what it is even called? I'd like to replace them both. Are they supposed to just press in?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
I am currently in the middle of replacing the control arms on my car. I have everything off and have a couple of issues.

On the passenger's side, one of the control arms was not coming out - it got half way and stopped. I finally realized the bushing was coming out with it, and this was causing it to jam up, and finally got it out.

On the driver's side, I went to put it all back together and realized the same bushing was missing! I looked at the old control arm and it came off with the control arm.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the metal collars that the lower control arms go into in the knuckles. On both rear lower control arms, the bushing seized to the control arm and came out with the arm. On the passenger side I noticed when it was halfway out and corrected it - on the driver's side it just came out (easily) with the control arm.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement bushing for this or what it is even called? I'd like to replace them both. Are they supposed to just press in?

Thanks.

These are the parts on the front and rear suspension….which one are you talking about?
If it doesn't show on the pic it's part of a larger assembly…is this the bushing into the aluminum carrier on the front? I think it's pressed into the carrier and not a replacement part…did you lose one? 26 is the rear lower control arm assembly for the front suspension.
Attached Images   

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 04-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Sloop- I'm not sure I see them in those diagrams, but you have the right part - the bushing is pressed into the aluminum carrier.

Ironically, one of the control arm tech articles has a parts diagram which shows the bushings as parts #54 and #55

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

The diagram is at the top of the article, but I can't find this diagram anywhere else - of course
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Sloop- I'm not sure I see them in those diagrams, but you have the right part - the bushing is pressed into the aluminum carrier.

Ironically, one of the control arm tech articles has a parts diagram which shows the bushings as parts #54 and #55

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

The diagram is at the top of the article, but I can't find this diagram anywhere else - of course
looks like it came from jimellisaudiparts.com

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...rimLevel=19005
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, Thanks Sloop!

Unfortunately, their parts list goes to part #52 and I am looking for 54 and 55. Haha. Figures...thanks though, it is still progress...
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey, Thanks Sloop!

Unfortunately, their parts list goes to part #52 and I am looking for 54 and 55. Haha. Figures...thanks though, it is still progress...
That's kind of what I figured…12A contains the steering knuckle and 54 and 55…part of the steering knuckle.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks.
Can you get those collars or bushings off the old control arms? Seems like a bit of heat would help. With tapered bits it also helps to rap them with a hammer…back up the bushing you want to get off the taper with a hammer and hit the bushing on the side away from the hammer. It ought to pop off just like a tie rod end on an old frog eye sprite.