A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Audi Owner 12 Error Codes - Where does an Audi newbie begin???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi Owner 12 Error Codes - Where does an Audi newbie begin???

Please Help

Bought a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 w/175,000 miles Dec 2014
Ran a bit rough but put 6 plugs and 6 coils in and it was fine - had a check Engine light for Oxygen Sensor. Daily commute of over 100 miles and it has been fine. Then about two weeks ago - started to shake and shimmer at idle but ran fine on highway. Now at startup it shakes shimmers and the check engine light flashes. (misfire) I don't want to risk driving it

I am not a mechanic but I can work my way through most things mechanical and remove - replace is fairly simple

Pulled out my super cheap $30 code reader and scanned

12 error codes: Here they are with what I read about them - but where do I start - I have extremely limited funds at this time.

P0741
P0056
P0161
P3081
P0300
P0303
P0304
P0301
P0302
P0102
P0171
P0174

4 Monitors incomplete
CAT
EVAP
SEC Air
o2 Sensr

4 Monitors Ready
misfire
fuel
comp
o2

Here is what I found out but I do not know how to address them - Audi is a different beast than Toyota.. : )

P0741 (Torq conv sel)
P0056 Ho2s Heater Ctrl
P0161 Heat 02 sensor
P3081
P0300 Random Misfire
P0303Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0102
P0171 System too lean
P0174 System too lean

I noticed some vacuum hoses looked odd (soft squishy blue tubing) - I replaced most of them on top of engine - immediately visible to the eye. One very fragile T crumbled in my hand so I replaced it

I wanted to replace the thermostat as temp gauge works intermittently but it looks like someone stripped the Allen screws (suggestions on loosing those would be nice) While doing so I questioned the following part:

Vacuum Actuator Adjusting Unit (Part Number 06C133611) here is a link to a good picture of it

Audi C5 A6 Quattro V6 3.0L - 06C133611 - Vacuum Actuator Adjusting Unit - ES#280290

Mine is in 2 pieces and is EXTREMELY covered in Grease - I tried to take mine out but the hood latch is in the way....

Is this a one piece unit?
Any where to get it cheaper?
Can this be the cause of most of my issues?

I am at a loss as to where to begin - is there a free version of the FSM service manual that I can get my hands on?

Thanks
Ralph
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Wow. Seems like everyone is buying an expensive German car and expecting to service and maintain it cheap.
First thing you buy is a Bentley manual, either the paper one or preferably the eBahn electronic. The electronic one is very dated and runs on Windows XP only (virtual PC is ok) but you may be able to get them to authorize a private early beta version.
Second thing is get a better code reader, VCDS (RossTech) or get someone to read out your codes.

The blue tubing you took off was probably bulletproof silicone. it doesn't fail although you can cut it. The T you broke you can replace with a brass one or a plastic one.

The vacuum actuator is a part that actuates the manifold runner flaps…you may have to put the front end in service position (see the bentley or google audi service position) to get the old one out. And yes, it's one piece. If yours is in two pieces it's broke and hopefully the trunk of the T isn't one of them and inside the engine waiting to be extracted.

What do you think is the thermostat that can be replaced with allen screws. The thermostat housing is underneath the intake manifold..Bentley says IM has to be removed.

Are you thinking of the temperature sensor?

It is possible the broken IM actuator is causing a vacuum leak but you could just plug or clamp the hose(s) to that actuator until you can replace it. Otherwise chances are your 02 sensors are trash at 175K miles. You may have to replace them but you should test them first.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks SloopJohnB. I appreciate the fast response.

Never expected it to be cheap; although I was surprised that it is far more pricey than my Toyota Land Cruiser. Real reason on the cheap is I lost my job, took a $40K pay cut and now my new employer cut everyone's pay 20% - its killing me....

The T was a standard T and I replaced it, I was surprised how brittle it was; just fell apart

The Thermostat housing looks quite accessible to me - there are 2 allen screws - right in front of IM off to the passenger side somewhat underneath the vacuum actuator. - Problem I have is the bolts are stripped - the allen keys won't break bolts free.

Looking at Ross Tech - thank you - looks like an Audi owner essential.
Will try to find the Bentley manual - later today.

I will try plugging the vacuum see if that makes a difference.

Very concerned by the misfires - what would be the most probable cause? Is it OK to drive?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One Quick additional Question, even thought I put 2003 in as my model year, I've been asked if my Audi is C5 or C6 platform. Not sure of the difference. I thought being a 2003, it was C5 and C6 platform was year 2005+ - if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated
Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by freemason_ralph
One Quick additional Question, even thought I put 2003 in as my model year, I've been asked if my Audi is C5 or C6 platform. Not sure of the difference. I thought being a 2003, it was C5 and C6 platform was year 2005+ - if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated
your car is a C5. The C6 is the designation for the 2005-2011 Audi A6.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks SloopJohnB. I appreciate the fast response.

Never expected it to be cheap; although I was surprised that it is far more pricey than my Toyota Land Cruiser. Real reason on the cheap is I lost my job, took a $40K pay cut and now my new employer cut everyone's pay 20% - its killing me....

The T was a standard T and I replaced it, I was surprised how brittle it was; just fell apart

The Thermostat housing looks quite accessible to me - there are 2 allen screws - right in front of IM off to the passenger side somewhat underneath the vacuum actuator. - Problem I have is the bolts are stripped - the allen keys won't break bolts free.

Looking at Ross Tech - thank you - looks like an Audi owner essential.
Will try to find the Bentley manual - later today.

I will try plugging the vacuum see if that makes a difference.

Very concerned by the misfires - what would be the most probable cause? Is it OK to drive?
Misfires most likely vacuum leak. Flashing CEL light generally means NOT OK to drive except short home or to repair shop.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"Super Cheap" reference and the fact you owned a Landcruiser...
Are you an Aussie?
If so I'd be questioning the pay cut your employer gave, especially if you have an EBA in place... might be illegal!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not an Aussie - Live in Indiana
What I need is help on solving error codes
Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Covered in grease: Sometimes a can of spray brake cleaner is a good crud cutter. Of course it can eat all sorts of things, some discretion and a fast thorough washdown are needed. But Liquid Tide and a toothbrush will even take off Cosmoline, without dissolving the rest of the car, so you might try them first.

I find a good cleaning with a steam gun, or hot water spray, of the whole engine box makes it much simpler to see and work on problems and leaks. Used with some care so you don't flood out anything, but incredibly useful and harmless if done correctly.

O2 sensors have a limited lifetime, maybe 70,000 miles. They tend to go "worse" and failsoft rather than just go suddenly dead, so as much as I don't advise just throwing money at problems, I'd consider replacing that first. A bad O2 sensor can cause the ECU to set everything incorrectly, including leaning out the cylinders and pushing the timing out of spec, as it tries to get the exhaust burn correct.

Often your local library has a reference librarian who can give you access to specific auto diagnostic and repair books, which might include your car and these problems. If they don't have it, they often have access in interlibrary loans and can get it in for you. Free.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What I need is help on solving error codes
Ok,

P3081 - I'd be looking at the coolant temp sensor before the thermostat. Common failure item, cheap and easy to replace.

P0056 and P0161 are both related to the bank 2 O2 sensor. Generally this means the heater inside the sensor is toast, which means the sensor is usually toast.

I'd normally say replace the O2 sensors (and if your milage is over 100k with no evidence of replacement I'd consider it anyway), however the rest of your codes point to your vacuum leak.
Fix that actuator valve, then clear the codes and see what comes back.

the vacuum leak will be putting more air in the inlet manifold than the MAF measures, giving the lean codes and misfires (maybe even the MAF code P0102).

If the MAF code doesn't go away, try cleaning it.

Quick Reply: New Audi Owner 12 Error Codes - Where does an Audi newbie begin???