A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New CTS, temp readings way off

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CTS, temp readings way off

I recently replaced the CTS (G62, square plug type) on my 99 2.4 V6 30V (Its pretty much the same as the 2.8), as I was having warm start issues, cluster guage never moved from bottom and I had a sticky 16502 / P0118 code.

Code stays gone, cluster guage gets fairly quickly to around 90'C and stays around there unless I push it. The starting issues (cranking fine, takes forever to fire up) seems to come further apart now, but they're not gone. Fuel trim is always adjusting up by 15-25% (worst on idle) - migh be related..?

I decided to let the car sit for 24 hours (ambient temp fairly stable). A control test of ambient temp showed 7.0'C, and the coolant in the expansion tank showed 8.0'C. However, ignintion on, engine off - after 24hrs - ECU part of the CTS is reading -7.5'C and the cluster is reading (+)30.0'C. Intake and ambient temp seems to be fairly good, compared to control.

Any ideas? I'm not in a posistion to be throwing any more parts at it than neccessary right now, so It would be great if someone had a suggestion on how to test if the new CTS is defective (pinout, correct resistance at specified temps etc).

Temp readings
Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

all looks normal on the engine end to me. how cold did it get overnight ? coolant temp wont move nearly as fast as air temp. bet it got in the sub zeros overnight.

not sure about the guage i never look at that one.

Last edited by Airbag; 03-19-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default If I had to guess I'd say your cluster is effed.

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
I recently replaced the CTS (G62, square plug type) on my 99 2.4 V6 30V (Its pretty much the same as the 2.8), as I was having warm start issues, cluster guage never moved from bottom and I had a sticky 16502 / P0118 code.

Code stays gone, cluster guage gets fairly quickly to around 90'C and stays around there unless I push it. The starting issues (cranking fine, takes forever to fire up) seems to come further apart now, but they're not gone. Fuel trim is always adjusting up by 15-25% (worst on idle) - migh be related..?

I decided to let the car sit for 24 hours (ambient temp fairly stable). A control test of ambient temp showed 7.0'C, and the coolant in the expansion tank showed 8.0'C. However, ignintion on, engine off - after 24hrs - ECU part of the CTS is reading -7.5'C and the cluster is reading (+)30.0'C. Intake and ambient temp seems to be fairly good, compared to control.

Any ideas? I'm not in a posistion to be throwing any more parts at it than neccessary right now, so It would be great if someone had a suggestion on how to test if the new CTS is defective (pinout, correct resistance at specified temps etc).

Temp readings
Fortunately there are several places you can mail your cluster to and they will fix it, including your LCD which is probably pixilated by now anyway.
Since you have a 2.4 V6 you're likely not in the USA so you'll have to find your own cluster repair facility.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CTS is a dual thermistor based sensor "one for the EMC one for the dash", check your connections over or it's possible the new one is faulty.

Somewhere in the forum I did post a pdf to someone with the resistance values and pinouts on both types of CTS's.

Here it is, the CTS test procedure.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They di'nt go there! Last ditch is replace engine ECM???

Originally Posted by jcman
The CTS is a dual thermistor based sensor "one for the EMC one for the dash", check your connections over or it's possible the new one is faulty.

Somewhere in the forum I did post a pdf to someone with the resistance values and pinouts on both types of CTS's.

Here it is, the CTS test procedure.
Wow. Just wow.

But thanks for the pinouts. That and a hot pan of water should tell whether the new CTS is bad.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Wow. Just wow.

But thanks for the pinouts. That and a hot pan of water should tell whether the new CTS is bad.
And if two of the harness connectors are shorted the gauge should be pegged.

Um, why are you thanking me?
Is that a sarcastic Wow??
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OP, if you have vagcom then why don't you do a cluster test in that module?
All the bells and whistles are called up, give it a shot before you throw darts at nothing.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

@Airbag: Temps at nighttime got down to about 4'C (plus), 12 in day. Car was sitting in the shade, and test was performed around 10pm (4hrs after sundown) - so not a big gap, and nowhere near sub-zero. As mentioned, the actual ambient (7.09'C) and coolant temp was control tested with a known calibrated temp probe, and coolant read (plus) 8.02'C at the time of the test.

@SloopJohnB@mac.com: What makes you suggest the cluster to be eff'ed? I'd love to send it in to get the display fixed (it fades with certain temp fluctations, but only 1/3 of a single horizontal line is actually buggered), but that gets pretty expensive. Haven't been able to source a specific service, but an electronics workshop guestimated ~1.5hrs work (as its not a procedure they've done before), plus parts. Thats about $200 in work alone here. And I hear those Chinese cheap displays are really s***, which means another 100-200$ in parts.

Shipping it off to the US means a good $100 in shipping (there and back again), so even though cheaper - still looking at $250-$300 job.

@jcman : Thanks a nice, warm bunch of puppys and kittens for the PDF - I've been looking for something like this for days now! That it was an isolated, 2-thermistor package, I already was aware of. Important to understand though. I'm not able to pull the sensor right now, but I'll try to make that happen - maybe later today. I did run an output test on the cluster last night when I got home. Everything seemed fine, but VCDS was reading 91'C on the coolant (cluster) at the time so not the best timing. I'll try another one fairly soon (sitting overnight), and post back.

Ps. I have the analog clock cluster (with integrated immo). Is the oil temp guage supposed to do something during the output test? Because it was sitting steady @ ~85'ish all through the test. Oh, and when it came to the overheat test - nothing happened, and got red letters (VCDS) saying something in the lines of procedure not available.

Last edited by pr0xZen; 03-20-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sitting overnight (and yes it got a bit colder), cluster output test:

Pardon the quality - solar eclipse going on in the background so lighting got a bit intense and weird, had to do a quick-n-dirty filter. But it should be good enough to see whats going on. The speedometer stops at ~102km/h, I can live with that. The fuel guage can be adjusted a little bit - but I'll tackle that after dealing with fuel sender issues.

Last edited by pr0xZen; 03-20-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope, no sarcasm.

Originally Posted by jcman
And if two of the harness connectors are shorted the gauge should be pegged.

Um, why are you thanking me?
Is that a sarcastic Wow??
Not sarcastic…more of a comment on my ignorance and Bentley's final step of replacing engine ECM with nothing about testing the cluster.

Quick Reply: New CTS, temp readings way off