A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New to Forum and need help with A6 Quattro:

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ross-Tech-VAGCOM-KII-USB-/191604771359?hash=item2c9c88ca1f&item=191604771359&vxp=mtr
Old 06-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Also you want to vacuum fill the coolant in order to ensure all air is out of the system.

Ok.. A quick search on cylinder location to see if 1, 2, 3 are all on the same side gave me mixed results. I believe all three are on one side. That can mean that something silly like the cam chain tensioner is not working properly could be at fault. It's not that bad of a swap on a 2.8L, not sure on the 2.7.

What I'm getting at is if it's running bad when you pick it up with a $1700 tab, I'd be asking some serious questions. A good mechanic finds out why it's not running right and either fixes it or brings you up to speed and you decide fix or not.

Sounds like when you bought it, it was running find. Then it had a coolant leak, which isn't uncommon for the type of water pump used on these cars.
Well actually when I picked it up they did go over the fact that the right EGR valve was failing and when they fixed or replaced it it ran much better. The blinking engine check and rough ideal started a day or two later. it also has been getting worse as the I drive it more.

Any idea on the 11-12mpg issue?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I meant is "Where are you located (City/State)" as independent shops are the best route.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
What I meant is "Where are you located (City/State)" as independent shops are the best route.
Sorry about that, Greenville, IN. About 15 miles North of Louisville.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default contact Ross Tech

Originally Posted by Richard E. Woodward III

they can tell you if it is the correct one. Also verify the licensing issue if you are buying one from someone other than Ross Tech.

Once you have it you can scan and post DTC on Google and get lots of ideas. Also search this forum and find many more ideas.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What I'm curious is what codes are still popping up?
Many people make the mistake of throwing random repairs at cars without ever looking at the car's diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) from the car's computer. The car's computer tells you what system is failing, and that helps us focus on the problem areas better as to what components of that system need repair.
So before any more money gets thrown-in, the diagnostic trouble codes will help figure out problem sooner.

Bill,
great call on the service write-up inquiry. Seems like there are quite a few brittle and decaying plastic and rubber hoses/lines leaking fluid.

Originally Posted by clancy
they can tell you if it is the correct one. Also verify the licensing issue if you are buying one from someone other than Ross Tech.

Once you have it you can scan and post DTC on Google and get lots of ideas. Also search this forum and find many more ideas.
Before you waste more money than necessary, some of the Vagcom units are expensive units that help us review and modify the car's systems. If you are not looking to change programming and get too complicated you will be just fine with a read-only model that doesn't write to your car's computer. No need to pay 300+ when you just need to read trouble codes.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-19-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: DTC reader suggestion
Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Many people make the mistake of throwing random repairs at cars without ever looking at the car's diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) from the car's computer. The car's computer tells you what system is failing, and that helps us focus on the problem areas better as to what components of that system need repair.
So before any more money gets thrown-in, the diagnostic trouble codes will help figure out problem sooner.

Bill,
great call on the service write-up inquiry. Seems like there are quite a few brittle and decaying plastic and rubber hoses/lines leaking fluid.

Before you waste more money than necessary, some of the Vagcom units are expensive units that help us review and modify the car's systems. If you are not looking to change programming and get too complicated you will be just fine with a read-only model that doesn't write to your car's computer. No need to pay 300+ when you just need to read trouble codes.
Thanks everyone for all the help. I have found multiple diagnostic tools that will work. You are correct all i want is something to pull codes and clear out codes. Don't want to modify the chip itself.

I found a lot out last night.

The air filter (FRAM) was so old it was falling apart. Replaced with standard STP. It was all they had in stock. I removed the coils and found all the plug clips but one were broke off. There were 3 Bremi and 3 no name brand (just white on top). The plugs on the right side were black. Probably from the failed EKR or what ever it's call valve.

It took me about 80 minutes to complete the task of replacing the coils, Adding zip ties to coils and wiring since the clips were broke, and plugs. When I fired it up, what difference. I am holy crap!!!

I also found I have a lot of carbon build-up at my tail pipes. I probably need to get some injector cleaner and drive a while on the express way to clean out all the existing build up.

My wife and I are trying to keep a positive attitude about this car purchase. I should have none with our limited budget of $5000 this was not the car to buy. But the kid in me really wanted it. In the end I spent $4,300 for the car, $1,700 on the cooling system, $450 on tires, and $300 on Coils, plugs, filter, and everything else. So with $6,750 in the car I will have it for a long while.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard E. Woodward III
....So with $6,750 in the car I will have it for a long while.
that $6750 is just the beginning....
Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hwks1
that $6750 is just the beginning....
Not if I can help it. The only large expense I am hoping for is replacing the timing belt.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6

Bill,

I just went to autozone for the Injector cleaner and had them pull the codes.

Last night I drove about 20 to 30 miles with no issues, was fun. Today went 6 miles to autozone and engine check light started blinking again and ideal was rough at 600rpm.

Autozone will not clear the codes so I don't know if they are old or the same issues.

They pulled 7 codes:

P0141 - Oxogen Sensor / Heater ??? Bank

P0171 - Bank to Lean.

P0300 - Misfire

P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire

P0302 - Cylinder #2 Misfire

P0301 - Cylinder #1 Misfire

P0741 - Transmission Clutch Sensor

Quick Reply: New to Forum and need help with A6 Quattro: