A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Not the normal interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the normal interior light problem

At least I think so anyway.

Heya guys, first post here.

Audi c5 allroad, 2005.

Open the drivers door with the outside handle. The car doesn't think the door is open.
But open the door from the inside and its fine.

As far as I'm aware there is only the one microswitch in the latch?

Whats up?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One microswitch. Thinking the outside handle linkage to lock mechanism is not right. I would pull the lock mechanism and inspect linkage. Maybe just a worn piece. That said, I would buy a new mechanism provisionally. Send it back if you can fix the existing lock. FCPeuro allows returns.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did adjust the outside handle as it only just opened the door at the top of the handles movement. Bought the car a few days before doing that. And only just started driving it every day.

Noticed the interior handle releases quite near to the top of the movement too really and doesn't pop the door open a little like the other doors do. So probably is time for a new latch.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I Bought a replacement one and fitted it and it solved my problem. But I have the auto lock over 10mph turned on, and for some reason the new latch caused it to try and lock every time you slow down and go over 10mpg again, even when it was locked already. Very annoying in stop start traffic.

I asked the seller and they told me to turn off the auto lock feature. What a dumb response.

So I had a look at the old latch to see if I could just fix that one. turns out the plastic covering the actual latch had a groove worn in it from the microswitch. So it only just wasn't being pressed. I guess the force from opening it with the interior handle was enough to just push it down. Weird.

So I scraped off the plastic layer and adjusted the microswitch down. There is no adjustment but I bent the metal mounting surface over a tiny bit. Didn't take much. Works perfectly now.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good it worked out. I bought the mirror adj. switch from eBay because the **** broke. The new switch didn't work in most positions. Ended up swapping the internals from old to new and it works. Problem solved but I understand what you mean. You'd think a new part should solve the issue... as we know... not always!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tester123
Good it worked out. I bought the mirror adj. switch from eBay because the **** broke. The new switch didn't work in most positions. Ended up swapping the internals from old to new and it works. Problem solved but I understand what you mean. You'd think a new part should solve the issue... as we know... not always!
Thanks. I did consider swapping the circuit board from the old one into the new one but had visions of springs and cogs flying everywhere if I took them apart.
It solved my first problem. Just caused an extra one.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukeybabes
Thanks. I did consider swapping the circuit board from the old one into the new one but had visions of springs and cogs flying everywhere if I took them apart.
It solved my first problem. Just caused an extra one.
Nice work. Correct on circuit board fix. There's a diy on rebuilding, but a PITA. Get ready for several sorting adventures. Since you've handled the microswitch fix creatively, you should have fun as a C5 owner. You might consider buying VCDS from Ross Tech to help pinpoint most issues you encounter.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by johnkk
Nice work. Correct on circuit board fix. There's a diy on rebuilding, but a PITA. Get ready for several sorting adventures. Since you've handled the microswitch fix creatively, you should have fun as a C5 owner. You might consider buying VCDS from Ross Tech to help pinpoint most issues you encounter.
Thanks. Yeah I've got a registered version of VCDS lite already and it's already come in handy a few times on this car alone.

Been driving it a month and already had this door lock out about 5 times, done a full service, glow plugs, rebuilt the air compressor, replaced the passenger front window mechanism as it seized, added an aux in for audio and av ins to the factory tv tuner to add apple tv. Dove in head first. lol