A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

not starting after starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not starting after starter replacement

Car: 2000 Audi a6 quattro 4.2l V-8

My car was not starting while the engine was warm (starter not engaging or turning) so I set about replacing my starter.long story short, I was taking off the old starter and noticed the battery has not been disconnected.

I put the new starter on, reconnected the battery, and nothing.

I took both the new and old starter in to be tested. They both passed. When the old starter was reinstalled it did not work. I tested the 200A fuse between the starter and battery and t was blown. I put the new starter back in, and today put the new fuse in (it took a week to come in). My car is still not starting.
Anyone have any ideas of what to check? School is starting back soon so I need to get this done ASAP
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

on mine the lead wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid was all coroded ,, read 12v but couldnt carry enough current to fire the solenoid. stripped it back about 12 inces and connected in a new piece and bingo.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
on mine the lead wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid was all coroded ,, read 12v but couldnt carry enough current to fire the solenoid. stripped it back about 12 inces and connected in a new piece and bingo.
I did not notice any corosion. Tomorrow I will put my car back on the lift and strip some of the rubber off if the wire. I don't think this is the problem though as before I replaced the starter it would start while the engine was cold. Now the starter will not engage at all
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bay M
I did not notice any corosion. Tomorrow I will put my car back on the lift and strip some of the rubber off if the wire. I don't think this is the problem though as before I replaced the starter it would start while the engine was cold. Now the starter will not engage at all
get a meter on that lead wire and se if you have 12 v hen you turn the key to start it ..
Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
get a meter on that lead wire and se if you have 12 v hen you turn the key to start it ..
I have 12.3V on the main cable on the starter. I don't have anything small enough to probe the ignition switch wire on the starter.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

I have 12.3V on the main cable on the starter. I don't have anything small enough to probe the ignition switch wire on the starter.
Use a large screwdriver to jumper between the large cable connection on the starter to the small ignition switch wire (make sure the car is not in gear first). If the starter solenoid picks and the starter turns, then the issue is not in the starter, but most likely in the ignition switch or the wiring between the ignition switch and the starter.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Georges suggestion will work but is very feaky and somewhat scary .. just pull the small wire off and stick your meter probe in the end of the small wire . you may need an assistant.. that should go to 12v when you go to start position. the negative probe should be ground obviously
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Use a large screwdriver to jumper between the large cable connection on the starter to the small ignition switch wire (make sure the car is not in gear first). If the starter solenoid picks and the starter turns, then the issue is not in the starter, but most likely in the ignition switch or the wiring between the ignition switch and the starter.
I wouldn't use a large screwdriver…just a short length of jumper wire is sufficient.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by georgeb944
I used some small jumper cable instead of the driver yesterday and it turned over. I got a ignition switch and installed it today. The starter will still not engage :/. Looks like its rental car for school.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I used some small jumper cable instead of the driver yesterday and it turned over. I got a ignition switch and installed it today. The starter will still not engage :/. Looks like its rental car for school.
If the car will run if you start it with the jumper, you could just install a pushbutton switch until you get time to figure it out.