A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

OBD

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD

Hi trying to access my OBD codes via my climate control. I have a 2003 a6
Heater core problems but want to check to see if my temps are set correct.What buttons do I use to activate and toggle thru the menu.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladder1
Hi trying to access my OBD codes via my climate control. I have a 2003 a6
Heater core problems but want to check to see if my temps are set correct.What buttons do I use to activate and toggle thru the menu.
Thanks.
I've never heard of being able to access OBD through the climate control system. All I've ever used is a VCDS ross-tech cable to do so, via the OBD port under the dash.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear you can access codes via the climate control?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There are / were some limited functions available via climate control. I never made them work.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you never got it to work, how do you "Know"?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There's a video on YouTube. Just Google on board diagnostics for Audi but mines not functioning the same way that video is I can't seem to toggle thru The menu. trying to eliminate any possibilities of something else been wrong before I replace my heater core.I really really really don't want to do it.you want have any suggestions I could use some help here.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a video on YouTube. Just Google on board diagnostics for Audi but mines not functioning the same way that video is I can't seem to toggle thru The menu. trying to eliminate any possibilities of something else been wrong before I replace my heater core.I really really really don't want to do it.you want have any suggestions I could use some help here.
The only way to access the climate control module is through vagcom via the obd port not the climate control head unit "pushing buttons" to see if any error codes are present in the climate module section of the software.

Before you do anything check for any codes with vagcom, if no codes exist then check the temp difference between the inlet/outlet of the heater core to determine if it's clogged causing a resistance of flow, there has been many posts about restricted heater cores with a good amount of detail on diagnostics and remedies.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, if you are referring to this link right out of the tech section for A4's and S4's AudiWorld Tech Articles I don't believe that this applies to the C5 newer than 02.

You can try, Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes that's what I am trying to accomplish here I am trying to eliminate things so I can determine whether or not my heater core is bad
Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes that's what I am trying to accomplish here I am trying to eliminate things so I can determine whether or not my heater core is bad
Got it, that's why I responded with some info, facts and a direction for you to go on, so outside of that vagcom and searching the forums is all up to you.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

why dont you back up and tell us exactly what you are experiencing .. there may be threads or people here that can help .

Quick Reply: OBD