Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Jer
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 93050

Send a message via AIM to Jer
Default Oil filter/change for 2000 4.2L A6???

I was getting set to do the first oil change on the A6 and it looks like the parts counter (buddy at NAPA) may have given me the wrong filter for it. I attached a photo of what the filter looks like.

I crawled underneath the car and on the passenger side bottom of the engine I can see what looks like a standard engine oil filter but more narrow and longer. I assume this is the oil filter and the parts counter gave me the incorrect oil filter, yes? I think he gave me the filter for the 4.2L on the A8 as opposed to the A6. I talked to him and he said that this is all his computers/books show for that vehicle.

Also, if this indeed the engine oil filter, what's the easiest way to go about getting it out? It looks to be about the hardest engine oil filter I've ever gotten to. Looks like the best way is to unscrew it letting it dump out then tilting it down towards the front and taking it out in front of the cross member. This is a sure fire way to make a mess and burn your hand/arm though so just wondering how others go about this. Thanks for the heads up.

=-----> DO NOT SHIP W/DAS (DEPENDABLE AUTO SHIPPERS)!! <----=
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 2251

Default The filter for an '02 V8 looks like this, I'm not aware that '00 was any different

One is a Mann and the other is OEM

Old 11-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Jer
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The filter for an '02 V8 looks like this, I'm not aware that '00 was any different

Yup, that's exactly what I was seeing. Thanks.

Where's the cheapest place to get them because none of the local aftermarket automotive places seem to carry a part.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 18685

Default check out ECS tuning... see link above. BTW, it is a 4.2L engine, not 4.3.

Grapeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Jer
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: check out ECS tuning... see link above. BTW, it is a 4.2L engine, not 4.3.

Yeah, I saw that typo in thread heading right after I posted it and edited it. It says 4.2L on my end now though, not sure why it still shows 4.3 on your end.

(One of my vehicles is a GMC Typhoon that uses a 4.3L so perhaps that's why I flubbed it up)

Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 18685

Default actually, now that I look at the headline again, I see the fix. Try ECS, they've served me well.

Grapeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Jer
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: actually, now that I look at the headline again, I see the fix. Try ECS, they've served me well

Yup, just checked and the Bosch OE engine oil filter is $19.95 versus the $34 the local Audi stealership parts counter wanted. I'll order up some of dems. Thanks man!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 2002, 42, 42l, a6, audi, c5, capacity, change, engine, filter, location, oil, perform, v8