A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Temp Guage/sender

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Temp Guage/sender

Next issue:
The oil temp does not come up?
Figuring either the sensor went out or it (or the wiring) was damaged in the accident or tow.
Since it is a 2.8 and is not driven hard I am not worried about oil temp since it has a water temp gauge.
Does the car use this data for anything, or just the gauge.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Next issue:
Figuring either the sensor went out or it (or the wiring) was damaged in the accident or tow.
Since it is a 2.8 and is not driven hard I am not worried about oil temp since it has a water temp gauge.
The oil temp/level sensor is mounted in the oil pan, it sends signals to the dash oil temp gauge and the red oil pressure icon in the center info display,
sounds like a loose connection/damaged wiring or failed thermistor in the sensor.

No data to the ECU only to the cluster chip processor.

Last edited by jcman; 05-20-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
The oil temp/level sensor is mounted in the oil pan, it sends signals to the dash oil temp gauge and the red oil pressure icon in the center info display,
sounds like a loose connection/damaged wiring or failed thermistor in the sensor.

No data to the ECU only to the cluster chip processor.
If it is on the front of the oil pan, maybe a wire could have gotten disconnected (or knocked off).
The level sensor must still be working because I get no low oil warning.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is on the front of the oil pan, maybe a wire could have gotten disconnected (or knocked off).
The level sensor must still be working because I get no low oil warning.
Actually the sensor is mounted on the bottom of the pan with two bolts and a gasket, by the mentions of your concerns with careless towing or the accident anything is possible with wire damage or the sensor itself.

Some of the early C5's did not have the oil level warning feature, if I'm correct you have a 2000 which should though.

Last edited by jcman; 05-20-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Ok, I'll try to make this short;

Got oil level light, checked level, all good, checked forum and saw suggestion to replace sensor. Replaced sensor, light stayed off for a while but oil temp was way off, sent Meyle sensor back and got a different brand. Still getting level warning but temp is more in line with reality.
Bought valve cover gaskets, took passenger side off, clean as a whistle, no sludge, debris, nothing. Opening hood and closing btw seems to reset light but it comes back on.
The light generally (but not always) comes on after a few minutes of highway driving, which made me surmise that there might be oil return paths blocked but the condition inside the valve cover didn't prove this up.
Any additional suggestions? It's not throwing any codes related to this.

Thank you in advance.
Brian
Old 02-28-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Hella sensor is only one to use.

Originally Posted by BrianFaulkner
Ok, I'll try to make this short;

Got oil level light, checked level, all good, checked forum and saw suggestion to replace sensor. Replaced sensor, light stayed off for a while but oil temp was way off, sent Meyle sensor back and got a different brand. Still getting level warning but temp is more in line with reality.
Bought valve cover gaskets, took passenger side off, clean as a whistle, no sludge, debris, nothing. Opening hood and closing btw seems to reset light but it comes back on.
The light generally (but not always) comes on after a few minutes of highway driving, which made me surmise that there might be oil return paths blocked but the condition inside the valve cover didn't prove this up.
Any additional suggestions? It's not throwing any codes related to this.

Thank you in advance.
Brian
Oil level needs to be checked with dipstick with car on level ground.
Sorry, at least I don't have to ask if the PC power cord is plugged in...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense Sloop. Yeah, it's likely got about 10 quarts in it right now as I've added some 2-30different times just to see if the calibration on the off brand sensors could be off. I always check while it's sitting in my garage.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default CW is use only a Hella part.

Next issue:
There are others out there that people have had trouble with.