A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Temp sender location = ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp sender location = ??

Hello, I have a 2001 2.8 and am looking for some tips on the oil sender location, was under car with the cover removed, looking in oil filter area I can see the pressure sender assuming the temp must be close by but no luck. Wondering if behind the alternator area on the block or possibly it is revealed if you remove the oil filter??

Gauge is dead on the dash I am thinking the sender or wire disconnected possibly while the car had some service done prior to my purchase (oil pan gasket (along with the std valve covers & tensioners, timing & water pump,etc)
I have not read any std problems with the gauges so starting at the sender and will work my way back.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Hello, I have a 2001 2.8 and am looking for some tips on the oil sender location, was under car with the cover removed, looking in oil filter area I can see the pressure sender assuming the temp must be close by but no luck. Wondering if behind the alternator area on the block or possibly it is revealed if you remove the oil filter??

Gauge is dead on the dash I am thinking the sender or wire disconnected possibly while the car had some service done prior to my purchase (oil pan gasket (along with the std valve covers & tensioners, timing & water pump,etc)
I have not read any std problems with the gauges so starting at the sender and will work my way back.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards
It's mounted on the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you replace it make sure you use a Hella (makes the oem). The meyle are hit and miss, more miss.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you, I have to check that out, I saw (noticed) no senders on the pan but was not focused there. manual shows a pic on a 2.7 & says 2.8 is the same above the oil filter / cooler on the block.
The pan may make sense it was recently replaced (although by the dealer) for an aggressive speed bump by the PO, maybe my theory on disconnected wire will hold true, sender is also better than the gauge cluster!

I may have to start a new thread on the after market parts availability and quality. I am familiar with German products but never Audi and some of the ones offered like Meyle are totally unfamiliar to me, most of their stuff looks toward the middle of the road price wise. maybe mechanical parts are better than electric? Lumfolder (sp) Mann, Hella and others I never have an issue ordering.

Again thanks for the help, will check this out over the weekend. Looking forward to learning more about the new acquisition, 2001 A6 Avant, 88Kmi, service records going back to nearly new, front control arms all fresh, and the PO did the 105K service prior to driving it from the left coast to NC

Regards
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you, I have to check that out, I saw (noticed) no senders on the pan but was not focused there. manual shows a pic on a 2.7 & says 2.8 is the same above the oil filter / cooler on the block.
The pan may make sense it was recently replaced (although by the dealer) for an aggressive speed bump by the PO, maybe my theory on disconnected wire will hold true, sender is also better than the gauge cluster!

I may have to start a new thread on the after market parts availability and quality. I am familiar with German products but never Audi and some of the ones offered like Meyle are totally unfamiliar to me, most of their stuff looks toward the middle of the road price wise. maybe mechanical parts are better than electric? Lumfolder (sp) Mann, Hella and others I never have an issue ordering.

Again thanks for the help, will check this out over the weekend. Looking forward to learning more about the new acquisition, 2001 A6 Avant, 88Kmi, service records going back to nearly new, front control arms all fresh, and the PO did the 105K service prior to driving it from the left coast to NC

Regards
As mentioned before the Hella sensor is more of a reliable part, I dug up a pic so you know what to look for.

Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

i have a feeling you wont find a disconected wire. This is a a comon posting on this forum. As mentioned dont even waste your time with a Meyle sensor as they are incompatible with the temp sensing on our cars. Get the hella and call it a day. Just order one and throw it in with your next oil change.. 10 minute job.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you, so this sensor does the low level warning AND is the sender for the temp gauge lower left on the gauge cluster in the dash??

Thanks again for the pic and information.

Regards
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you, so this sensor does the low level warning AND is the sender for the temp gauge lower left on the gauge cluster in the dash??

Thanks again for the pic and information.

Regards
Yes it monitors both parameters.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Makes perfect sense, and much easier access than the pic in the manual up on the block, after looking at that again it looks more like a V8

Thanks again
Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While I have your attention, is there a way to save your display options?? I have looked in used CP and a few other places. When I open this part of the forum it displays by thread title, and from the beginning and loads like almost 10K threads, I then sort by last post and last month (there is a third option but dont remember and not critical) I hit search and it works BUT if I go back or leave the forum it reverts to all & title.
Any idea as to how to set this??
For some reason the for sale looks to work as other forums I use.

Thanks for the help on the temp sensor, I hate a gauge not working.

Regards

Quick Reply: Oil Temp sender location = ??