A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Temperature Gauge and Overheated Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temperature Gauge and Overheated Engine

2001 Audi a6 2.7t
1. My oil temperature gauge in my cluster on my dash in my Audi has not budged in about 6 months. How could I fix that and what could be the problem? I checked Vag-Com and there are no codes showing up. No check engine light or anything on the dash.

2. While I was driving I turned my air conditioner on. I have never seen this before with this car but the engine temperature gauge on the cluster started to move right to the point where it was 2 notches right of center? What could be causing this and how would I fix it? It does not do this in Econ mode (that is somewhat understandable).
Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

1. read more threads .. it is a couple down
2. Sounds like the fans may not be working properly
Old 09-25-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
1. read more threads .. it is a couple down
2. Sounds like the fans may not be working properly
I second this advice. Your oil temperature sensor/level sensor is gone most likely and needs to be replaced, it is on the bottom of the oil pan and a few threads down will give more info.

When you have the A/C on and the car is moving, it is generally air cooled and that is all that is required. There is an auxiliary fan in the front though, and it comes on when the weather is hot and air cooling is not enough, or usually when you are sitting in traffic or just idling. So, if you turn the car on, and the A/C works and car doesn't over heat, but you let it idle for a bit and then suddenly the temperature starts to rise after a while of idling, the fan probably is not kicking on. When it overheats, just pop the hood if you can and look at the fan in the front by the radiator. If it is overheating, that fan should be going and I bet its not.

You can supply that fan with 12V directly and it should spin. If it spins, then you need a new controller for the fan, if it doesn't spin you need a new fan and may need a new controller also.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
I second this advice. Your oil temperature sensor/level sensor is gone most likely and needs to be replaced, it is on the bottom of the oil pan and a few threads down will give more info.

When you have the A/C on and the car is moving, it is generally air cooled and that is all that is required. There is an auxiliary fan in the front though, and it comes on when the weather is hot and air cooling is not enough, or usually when you are sitting in traffic or just idling. So, if you turn the car on, and the A/C works and car doesn't over heat, but you let it idle for a bit and then suddenly the temperature starts to rise after a while of idling, the fan probably is not kicking on. When it overheats, just pop the hood if you can and look at the fan in the front by the radiator. If it is overheating, that fan should be going and I bet its not.

You can supply that fan with 12V directly and it should spin. If it spins, then you need a new controller for the fan, if it doesn't spin you need a new fan and may need a new controller also.
The fan spins, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the fan. About 25% of the time, after driving it, there is a pool of coolant and water under the car and on the driveway. Could it be the water pump? The coolant level in the reservoir has not gone down.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are losing coolant and the level is not going down, you have missed something.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The radiator had a crack in it. Also the lower radiator hose was split in half.