A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Warning Light when Oil level is good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Warning Light when Oil level is good.

Hello,

Recently changed oil and filter as regular maintenance and drove over 1000+ miles without any issues. Yesterday, 1 hour into a long drive (350+ miles), Oil warning light came on in Center instrumentation display. It is the Oil (pan like) Icon with drops animation. It is blinking icon/animation with a 3 long beeps.

Pulled over and checked the level and it is fine. Checked for leaks and not a drop of oil anywhere. Drove for a while and light comes on again - checked level, it is good. After multiple stops due to the warning light, I checked over and over to make sure Oil level is not dropping and it is perfectly in middle of dipstick measure. Check with VCDS and no Engine fault codes.

Checked oil level when engine is running and level drops -indicating that the oil pump is working. Check oil level when engine off, level comes to normal on dipstick. Oil temperature is normal and stays there. So, the thermal sensor & gauge are working.

Ignored the warning and drove home. Let it sit overnight and checked level and it is still perfect. Went to get gas and warning light comes on again.

Is it bad thermal/level sensor or bad oil pressure sensor? Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot electrical/sensor yet.

Last edited by tester123; 08-17-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The sensors do fail, tester.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Check your owners manual for the precise meaning of the indicator. The color (amber or red) is also part of the indication.

That said, it is most likely the sensor...

Last edited by georgeb944; 08-21-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this a Yellow oil level, or Red oil Pressure? If its the yellow oil level, just try replacing the sensor. If its the Red oil pressure, remove the oil pan right away and check for any junk in the pickup tube for the oil pump. Its a large screen, with only a half dollar size hole, and tons of junk packs up in the surrounding areas decreasing oil volume and pressure. I have seen this quite a few times on 2.8 and 3.0.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FIRST, reset the AutoCheck system!!!!!!
quattroworld.com Forums: "been showing the ABS symbol/yellow color" As I've posted before, First, reset the Auto Check

quattroworld.com Forums: How to reset the yellow light (priority 2) symbols in the instrument cluster Auto-Check Display.

Last edited by BernieBenz; 08-18-2016 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Added URL
The following users liked this post:
Roberto Nogueda (07-24-2020)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I should've mentioned it is RED animated icon. Checking Owners manual, it says blinking warning with 3 beeps is a "high priority" warning and vehicle should not be operated. It indicates low oil pressure. Apparently, there is a different icon (same as oil pan but with "sensor" written below) to indicate sensor failure -as per the owner's manual.

Apart from sludge (which I cannot imagine as I performed all oil changes every 3.5k miles or less with new OEM filters and always 5w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic for the past 8+ years I own the car), what would cause the oil pump to fail -if it is the pump?
Old 08-21-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
I should've mentioned it is RED animated icon. Checking Owners manual, it says blinking warning with 3 beeps is a "high priority" warning and vehicle should not be operated. It indicates low oil pressure. Apparently, there is a different icon (same as oil pan but with "sensor" written below) to indicate sensor failure -as per the owner's manual.

Apart from sludge (which I cannot imagine as I performed all oil changes every 3.5k miles or less with new OEM filters and always 5w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic for the past 8+ years I own the car), what would cause the oil pump to fail -if it is the pump?
It's probably the oil pressure sensor, the part number seems to be 06A919081J, and is pretty cheap. It is located on the oil filter housing, driver side behind the oil filter.

If it were your oil pump, you would have other symptoms (loud noises, seized engine, broken parts, etc.)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
It's probably the oil pressure sensor, the part number seems to be 06A919081J, and is pretty cheap. It is located on the oil filter housing, driver side behind the oil filter.

If it were your oil pump, you would have other symptoms (loud noises, seized engine, broken parts, etc.)
This is my strong opinion as well. Warning/beeps do not seem to be consistent. Last couple of days no warning light during the same drive(s). Oil temps were at normal operating range etc. This morning engine is just a little warm, indicator blinked with beeps. After that nothing. Returning back no warning etc. Engine continues to run smooth as butter without any clunking or any noises - same as when the issue was found during that long drive.

Thank you for the part number! I'll look in repair manual to see the exact location. Mine is 4.2 engine and oil filter is on passenger side.

I am assuming oil should be drained to change the sensor... right?

Last edited by tester123; 08-25-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The sensors do fail, tester.
Yes they do.
I am one of those who measure twice and cut once - I try to find the exact faulty component and replace it instead of changing parts until problem is found...

i.e. check fuel bank thread in my sig., drove with that issue for a long time until I "understood" the actual problem/component, replaced it and never had that come back again.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
Hello,

Recently changed oil and filter as regular maintenance and drove over 1000+ miles without any issues. Yesterday, 1 hour into a long drive (350+ miles), Oil warning light came on in Center instrumentation display. It is the Oil (pan like) Icon with drops animation. It is blinking icon/animation with a 3 long beeps.

Pulled over and checked the level and it is fine. Checked for leaks and not a drop of oil anywhere. Drove for a while and light comes on again - checked level, it is good. After multiple stops due to the warning light, I checked over and over to make sure Oil level is not dropping and it is perfectly in middle of dipstick measure. Check with VCDS and no Engine fault codes.

Checked oil level when engine is running and level drops -indicating that the oil pump is working. Check oil level when engine off, level comes to normal on dipstick. Oil temperature is normal and stays there. So, the thermal sensor & gauge are working.

Ignored the warning and drove home. Let it sit overnight and checked level and it is still perfect. Went to get gas and warning light comes on again.

Is it bad thermal/level sensor or bad oil pressure sensor? Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot electrical/sensor yet.
Hi check your air Hoses off of your turbo. If it said your oil is leaking and it's not it's going somewhere. The seals in a turbo go with time then oil with go through the gap into the intercoolers ect causing u to burn rich at the pipes as well u might be able to tell with black residue at the pipes. I had the same problem good luck either way

Quick Reply: Oil Warning Light when Oil level is good.